Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
OEMBS2 Question before i buy one — Parallax Forums

OEMBS2 Question before i buy one

Buttons are coolButtons are cool Posts: 3
edited 2005-10-26 14:13 in BASIC Stamp
Hi there, i'm hoping someone will be able to help me before I order a BS2OEM. I'm prob. going to buy the kit form you solder together yourself.

I was reading the information on the OEM modules. It says this on this page :

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/basicstamps/basic_stamps_oem.asp

Serial Communication
Parallax uses a minimum complement of components to effect an interface between the high levels of RS232 and the relatively low levels of TTL. Regardless of how the line levels are interfaced, there are two important things to note: the idle state of the serial input line (Sin) at the interpreter, (RA.2), is high, so you may need to place a pull-up resistor on the RA.2 pin, also, there must exist some form of loop back from Sin to Sout so that the Stampw.exe software can communicate with the BASIC stamp.

So does this mean I am going to have to add the pull up resistor and the feedback loop myself after piecing the kit together? Im not keen on this. I can guess as to what they are but really i have limited electronic experience. I want a kit i can put together and plug into my PC and start programming....

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy. I like buttons

Comments

• Buttons are coolButtons are cool Posts: 3
    edited 2005-10-26 02:57
    Oh yeah another question -

If i buy a basic stamp 2, (NOT the OEM one) how do i go about programming it?

I assume it connects to a serial cable into the PC. However which pins connect to
    the wires on the serial connection. In the FAQ it pointed to a link which is now dead.

www.parrallax.com/stamp/stmpsche.htm

Thats what im assuming anyway. Perhaps you need other circuitry to interface it
    with the pc. Not sure....

thanks again
    ·smile.gif
  • Buttons are coolButtons are cool Posts: 3
    edited 2005-10-26 05:25
    Okay just incase anyone was reading this i contacted the help desk

Wow a reply in under 3 hours. Fantastic!

Anyway the thing will work as you'd expect. The extra stuff was for if you are implementing
    a BS2 in a design.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-26 14:13
    As for the programming cable, you need a straight-through serial cable to connect to the on-board DB9.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com