Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo control Via VB6 — Parallax Forums

Servo control Via VB6

GalacticGalactic Posts: 6
edited 2005-10-26 20:56 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,

I have a quick question, I need to send data from a VB app to a Basic Stamp 2 on a BOE however I'm having difficulty. The main question is - when I use the SERIN command is that taking the data from the Serial port intergrated onto the BOE or is it the other DB9 connector thing intergrated into the middle of the board? This might be confusing but please bare with me I've just begun working with Microcontrollers.

Over all what I'm trying to do is send a command from a VB6 app out the serial port (MSCOMM API) to the basic stamp to control some servos. I'm wondering if I need to get a serial cable and modify it for that DB9 input in the middle of the board or if I can use the DB9 connector used to upload programs and such into the stamp.

Any help would really be appreciated

Thanks - Jon

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-26 00:31
    Jon,

·· That's not a serial port in the middle of the board, it's an AppMod connector.· When you program the Stamp Module you're already connected to the BASIC Stamp, so why not just leave the cable connected?· Then you can send commands that way.· If you're just sending one-byte or two-byte commands this should be sufficient.· If you need more bandwidth consider using our RS-232 AppMod.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=29120

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-10-26 19:19
    Yes, you can use "SERIN 16, 84+16384, [noparse][[/noparse]DEC MyData]" to recieve data from the DB-9 programming connector on the BOE. This assumes you're using 9600 baud, 8-data, no-parity on the PC side.
  • GalacticGalactic Posts: 6
    edited 2005-10-26 20:50
    Thank you
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-10-26 20:56
    You can use any of the I/O pins for serial communication, however you need to be mindful of TTL levels.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com