Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I2C interfacing - 24LC32 Expansion (EEPROM and / or RAM) — Parallax Forums

I2C interfacing - 24LC32 Expansion (EEPROM and / or RAM)

T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
edited 2005-10-25 22:41 in BASIC Stamp
Can the BS2 interface to the 24LC32 (4KByte - 32Kbit·EEPROM)? The BS manual states for I2C communication it must use the BS2P or BS2E (not the BS2) for this connection. However, looking at Stampworks Experiment 32 -·I2C Communications,·the code indicates that it will work on a BS2. It is a bit confusing.

What I want to do is find a way to add more EEPROM to possibly bank select it or provide seamless transfering to expand on the internal·2KB internal EEPROM.

What about expanding the 32 Bytes of RAM for variable·usage. Does anyone·know of a way to do this?

Are there any memory (EEPROM and / or RAM) expansions available for the BS2?

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-10-25 16:46
    The 2P and 2E have builtin I2C commands, the code in stampworks, is code for stamp which do not have the builtin commands.

The only expansion of memory availible (beside getting the ones with scratchpad memory) is doing what you are already thinking about, EEPROM. There is also FRAM for applications requiring frequent updating of data (EEPROM has an endurance of 10^4 to 10^5 writes, FRAM has an endurance of 10^11 to 10^12 accesses (read and write)).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-10-25 22:41
    To Paul's point, I2C is a synchronous serial protocol that can be synthesized by the BS2. You can add various types of RAM and EEPROM, but you cannot access it in your programs like standard variables; you'll have to put and fetch the values with code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax