Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Questions from a beginner — Parallax Forums

Questions from a beginner

joeleo1926joeleo1926 Posts: 7
edited 2005-10-24 14:40 in BASIC Stamp
I just recieved the necessary parts, from Parallax, to experience the the joy and thrill of the BLACK ARTS of programming and using a BASIC STAMP 2 !

My set up consists of a "Basic Stamp Super Carrier Board", a "Basic Stamp 2 Module", and a "USB to Serial Adapter", and a "9Volt Battery".

Using the "Quick Start Guide" beginning on page 27 of the "BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual", (1) I powered down my PC, (2) inserted the module into the socket of the Carrier Board, then (3) connected the USB adapter to the Carrier Board and a PC USB slot, (4) then plugged in a 9 volt battery ( at which time the green light on the carrier board cam on ).

Finally, I powered up my PC then as instruced, installed the necessary software for the USB adapter. Then I started up the the BASIC Stamp editor and was able to successfully execute the simple "Hello World" program as well as experiment with a few simple for-to exercises (with a few syntax error messages, I might add!). Now for my question(s):

Must I always go through the same set up sequence every time? Should I always remove the battery when I'm through and turn off my PC? I've looked every where on the web, in the manual, etc and can find no specific instructions on the do's and dont's of handling the basic stamp!

I might add that someplace I ran accross a message that said "NEVER remove or insert a module in a carrier while the battery or other power is connected!"

Any advice will be welcome.

joecal1926@comcast.net

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-23 17:32
    Hello,

·· No you shouldn't remove the BASIC Stamp Module from the socket while power is on.· Yes you should unplug the battery when not using the BASIC Stamp since some power will still be drawn.· But you don't always need to install the drivers, if that's what you mean about the same setup everytime.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-10-23 17:53
    Hi Joe -

Welcome to the wonderful world of Stamping. Just for future reference, you can find most if not all of the primary documention for the Parallax Basic Stamp here on the Parallax web site in the download section:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/index.asp

As regards your specific questions:

1. Must I always go through the same set up sequence every time?

The initial cold start start-up is necessary to ensure that the approprite drivers are loaded and available for the USB facility which connects the Stamp to the PC. Unless you change operating systems, or possibly if you need to load newer drivers, you will only need to do that cold-start operation once.

2. Should I always remove the battery when I'm through and turn off my PC?

In order to extend the battery life, it would be wise to remove or otherwise disconnect the battery from the Stamp Carrier Board. It would also be wise to remove it if/when you are making any hardware (wiring) changes on the carrier board, in the prototyping area.

Turning off your PC is a matter of personal choice. My own computers only get turned off if/when we have a power failure.

3. I've looked every where on the web, in the manual, etc and can find no specific instructions on the do's and dont's of handling the basic stamp.

You should always observe appropriate anti-static procedures when using any IC device. This means making sure that you have sufficiently grounded yourself, discharging any static charge you may be carrying, before you begin work. If you're working directly with the Stamp or any other IC its's often recommended to use a "static discharge strap". It's a one-time purchase, not terribly expensive, and may save you the price of an expensive IC such as a Stamp. Other than that, be careful if/when you insert or remove the Stamp from the carrier board. Make sure you don't bend the pins during the insertion or removal. They make DIP Extractor tools, but I've always found a careful, gentle initial lifting at each end with a small screwdriver or nail file, followed by the use of a pair of popsicle sticks to complete the removal, to work quite well.

Lastly, don't bring high voltage (wall receptacle voltages) any where near the Stamp, or the carrier board. Other than that, they're pretty hardy devices.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-10-24 14:40
    Oh, and you should know that USB is 'hot-pluggable'. This means, once configured (which you've already done) you can unplug and re-plug the USB cable with power on the PC with no ill effects.

So, setup for you now should be -- plug in the 9-volt battery, plug in the USB cable, and go. Shutdown: unplug the USB cable, unplug the 9-volt, and you're done.