Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
build or buy? — Parallax Forums

build or buy?

Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
edited 2005-10-14 14:22 in BASIC Stamp
Ok my project is coming together! now the problem at hand is that i need another BOE or the like, that I can use with my recently purchased BS2sx. I was originally going to use the pcb that came with the book "123 robotics experiments for the evil genius." It is a kit that you can assemble to use with a basic stamp, then I thought maybe it would be better to ask the pro's before I go ahead and assemble this myself only to fry my stamp. So would anyone recomend I buy the parts and build this contraption myself (cheaper) or should I purchase something (hopefully cheap!) from parallax? all I need it to do is the basic function of the BOE without being a spitting image. Im open to anything and thanks for the response.
~Jeremy

Comments

• bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2005-10-14 02:20
    If you don't want to spend the money on another BOE, you could always go for a super carrier board ($20), but you'll have to solder everything on (it's good if your done prototyping and just need a finished circuit). Or if you still want the solderless breadboard, you can still get the carrier board and just get a separate solderless breadboard and wire it together yourself. Just make sure you have a serial port or the USB adapter for the super carrier.
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2005-10-14 02:22
    I highly recommend the Parallax Super Carrier Board. It's inexpensive (about 20 bucks), has tons of space to prototype, a built-in 2940 voltage regulator and can be used with a BS1, and any of the 24 pin BSII series. Thats my $0.02 worth.

smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

• Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2005-10-14 02:29
    looks like the super carrier board is what bulk had said about being done with prototyping...which im not. but i could just toss a solderless breadboard on it and it would basically be the same as a BOE correct?
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-10-14 12:10
    Yes, it would.
    RoboGeek

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world,

those that know binary and those that don't.
    Formally bugg.
    www.goldmine-elec.com
    www.parallax.com
    www.expresspcb.com
    www.startrek.com
    ·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-14 14:22
    In many ways it would...However it doesn't have the servos headers that the BOE has (Which include Vin/Vdd selection) and it does have a BS1 socket, which may or may not be heplful to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com