Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Stache ( BASIC Stamp F.Programmer) to collect info. from the Stamp and u — Parallax Forums

Using Stache ( BASIC Stamp F.Programmer) to collect info. from the Stamp and u

MarkusMarkus Posts: 22
edited 2005-10-19 15:39 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I have a Basic stamp 2 homework collecting temperature of my car engine.

I need to know if I can use the Stache ( BASIC Stamp Field Programmer)
to take the basic stamp temperature (using a DS1620) and download the temperatures to my PC

I don't want to take out the basic stamp from my car.

I read that the Stache ( BASIC Stamp Field Programmer) is used
to download from a computer and then upload the program to a Basic Stamp ,
, but , I need to download from a Basic Stamp
and then upload my PC.

I this possible?

Is there an other item at Parallax instead of the Stache ( BASIC Stamp Field Programmer) ?

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-10-13 21:40
    The Stache will only work Stamp to Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-13 21:46
    Markus,

·· You could be the one to build one!· =)· Intersting concept though...A data storage module, to get data from another data storage module and upload that to a computer.· Too bad you don't have a laptop, or you could do it the way I used to.· Download the data right in the field to the laptop.· Perhaps you could use a PDA and do it via Bluetooth?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • JoeJoe Posts: 184
    edited 2005-10-13 22:35
    Hi,

And , do you know if can use a the Stache to transffer the temperature collected
    from Stamp Nº1 to a second Stamp and this second stamp connected to a computer?

LIKE this:
    STAMP Nº1 (collecting temperature) ----> Stache ----> Stamp Nº2 connected to a PC.

Sid Weaver, Is this possible because you told that: "The Stache will only work Stamp to Stamp".

Thanks again: Markus
    edited 2005-10-13 22:51
    No, you can not do that.· The Stache can only transfer program, not data, unless the data is written to the Stamp EEPROM.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver

·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-13 22:58
    Hello,

·· Complete documentation for the Stache can be found at the following web page.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27330

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • MarkusMarkus Posts: 22
    edited 2005-10-13 23:19
    Sid, Are you sure?

Are you from Parallax ?

I am asking this becuase it seems that you know a lot about the Stache device.

But about your answer, perhaps your help, could be usefull when you told that
    it is possible to collect the data from the EEPROM.

The problem I have is that there is not explanation about that,
    even reading the pdf about the Stache device.

Do you know where can I find more information?

Thanks, Markus confused.gif
    edited 2005-10-13 23:55
    I am not from Parallax.· I have had a Stache for a long time and I use it extensively.· The only time the Stache will copy data is if it is written to the Stamp EEPROM.· If you were using the BS2pe, which has 16Kb of EEPROM storage, you could upload everything written to EEPROM, along with the program, but you can only download it to another Stamp.

Read the Stache documentation very carefully, then read it again.· And just remember, anything that is stored in a Stamp module can be uploaded to the Stache.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver

·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-10-14 00:24
    Markus -

You might consider using Stamp Plot which will not only plot the data (if you wish) but you can store it for later retrieval by another program. Stamp Plot comes in two versions, Lite which can be directly downloaded, and Pro, which has all the bells and whistles, and comes on a CD. Here is a link to the software:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/stamp_plot_pro_info.asp

Alternative to that, you might want to look at StampDAQ as well. StampDAQ will dump the data it receives via a serial connection right into an Excel Spreadsheet. The data can be exported from Excel in many different formats. StampDAQ is free for the download from here:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_stampDAQ.asp

Just a couple of inexpensive but expeditious methods of gathering data from a Stamp.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-10-14 00:51
    Hi Markus,

Sid and others here have already answered your question, I think. The purpose of the Stache is one way only, it takes in a program or several different programs and data from the PC running STAMPW.EXE. Then you carry the Stache to a field site and plug the Stache into the Stamp system, press a button, and the program is loaded into the Stamp there. It does not work the other way around. You cannot load your acquired data from the Stamp onto the Stache and carry that back to the PC. Like Chris said though, that is a useful function.

There has been talk here from time to time about using memory cards for that purpose, but there are several issues that have to be overcome to make that practical.

If you have a second BASIC Stamp with enough memory (how much do you need?), you could create your own shuttle module. Stamp #2 shuttles data from Stamp #1 to the PC, where you could use the tools Bruce mentioned like StampPlot or StampDAQ to analyze the data.

If you have further questions about the Stache, i would be happy to anser them, because it is my baby.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-10-14 01:24
    Markus,

If you hdn't already figured it out, Tracy Allen (who posted above) is the creator of the Stache device.

I realise that you're trying to make sure the information that you are getting is accurate, if anyone would know it would certainly be Tracy Allen. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Also, any employees of Parallax have the Parallax name in their name.

Knight.
  • cyberbiotacyberbiota Posts: 79
    edited 2005-10-14 03:32
    Markus-

If you have a Palm PDA, it is relatively easy to transfer the data from the stamp serially to the Palm, and thence to your PC. You will need a serial download cable for the Palm device, a null modem adapter and a gender-bender- all available for about 8 bucks at the Rat Shack. I wrote a little app a few years ago that is essentially "HyperTerm for Palm," and is designed to debug a Stamp in the field. You could just save the outputted data and move it to the PC when you synch.

peter

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Peter C. Charles

Director, Research and Technology
    CyberBiota, Incorporated
    Peter.charles@cyberbiota.com
    http://www.cyberbiota.com
  • George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
    edited 2005-10-14 13:09
    Cyberbiota,

I would be interested in your ideas regarding HyperTerm for Palm, and using it with the Stamp BS2 in the field. You can contact me PM if desired.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MarkusMarkus Posts: 22
    edited 2005-10-19 01:35
    Thanks for all your help.

I will not use the stache bercause it seems it is not clear yet
    I will study ( thanks,Sid Weaver)

Perhaps I can use a second Basic stamp to load the stamp number
    one has collected. ( Is that ok Tracy Allen ? )

And connect the second basic stamp to the computer
    and use stamp daq or stamp plot.

( Am I ok now ? )

My english is not good , sorry.

thanks Markus. tongue.gif
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-10-19 15:39
    Markus,
    If I correctly inderstand what you are trying to do, then it sounds like the easiest thing to do will be to use another Stamp. You will have to adjust the code on the "car" stamp to allow being queried via a serial request on one of its pins and then it can send the data out on that pin to your requesting Stamp. This shouldn't add too many lines of code to your temperature gathering stamp and use only 1 pin.

HTH.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...