Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
14-pin developement board connector + cable — Parallax Forums

14-pin developement board connector + cable

ediedi Posts: 19
edited 2005-10-13 23:55 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

I have a Parallax Professional Developement Board (PDB). It has a 14 pin connector (dual row of 7 pins). It might also go by the names : 14-pin header, 14-pin box header, 14-pin socket, etc.

It is just like the· 20 pin header (dual row of 10 pins) on the Super Carrier Board except for the size & pin count.

My question : I am looking for the socket that will plug into my 14-pin connector on the PDB. I want the connector to have a ribbon cable attached to it (e.g. 12 inches or more).

Can anyone please provide vendors + links to such a product.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-10-13 17:40
    Call Digikey.· Ask for a technician.· Tell him exacly what you want.· However, I don't think a ribbon connector will work.· I believe the pins on a ribbon connecter are too small to make good contact with the socket on your board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • ediedi Posts: 19
    edited 2005-10-13 17:41
    Hi All,

PS : I forgot to include this.

Here is a hi-res picture of the Professional Developement board :

http://www.parallax.com/images/prod_jpg/28138-HUGE.jpg

The 14-pin connector is in the upper right corner.

Thanks.
    edited 2005-10-13 17:44
    Hi All,

Ooops ..... error in my original post.

The connector on the Professional Developement Board (PDB) is not like the one on the Super Carrier Board (SCB). The PDB has a male connector & the SCB has a female one.

Regards.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-13 17:48
    edi,

·· That connector is used for LCD connections, and really won't be much use for anything else due to internal connections.· We do have an LCD Display which connects to that header using a ribbon cable· It can be found at the following web page.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=603-00006

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2005-10-13 17:58
    I think what you need is·called an·idc connector, the same as what is used for floppy drives and hard drives in omputers, except only 14 pins instead of 34 or 40.

There is also a type that will work that uses crimp pins instead of idc, but that would·be 14 individual wires, not a ribbon cable.
    edited 2005-10-13 23:55
    Thanks to all who responded. Your info was helpful.

Mr. Sid Weaver your advice was the best for me. I called DigiKey & was connected w/ a knowledgeable tech in a couple of minutes. The tech found the connector + cable in in less than 3 minutes. It was painless.

Thanks,

Richard