Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serout question ... — Parallax Forums

Serout question ...

edmondfoxedmondfox Posts: 15
edited 2005-10-13 18:08 in BASIC Stamp
I am having trouble connecting to my stamp through a hyperterminal. I have code that uses serout to port 16 (which I thought was the output to a terminal) however nothing shows up when connected to the proper com port. I have to use the debug command now in order to send any data to the stamp. How do I configure the hyperterminal?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before or covered elsewhere, I went through quite a few forum pages with no luck.

THank You

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2005-10-13 16:49
    Edmond,

Hyperterminal should work, although it can be a bit more tempermental than say, Procomm.

Obviously, make sure the speed and other parameters are set properly. Also, go into Properties on Hyperterm and set the handshaking to "none" .

You should be able to use just a 3-wire cable ( pins 2, 3, 5) and get data across. I don't have the docs in front of me, but it may be necessary for pin 2 on the stamp connector to go to 3 on the computer connector and vice versa.

Start with a simple serout command and put it in a loop sending "hello" ,for example, every couple of seconds.

Good luck.

Tom Sisk
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-10-13 17:00
    Are you using a Parallax programming board?· If no, you need to make sure there is a capacitor between the DTR pin and the Stamps ATN pin -- otherwise Hyperterminal will force the Stamp into reset and it will go nowhere.

Start with DEBUG to get things going; after that you can use SEROUT to "pin" 16.· When using DEBUG you will set Hyperterminal for 9600 baud (unless you're using a BS2px which uses 19.2K).· A simple program like this will get you going:

theCount··· VAR·· Byte

Main:
    · DEBUG "Hello·· ", DEC theCount, CR
    · PAUSE 1000
    · GOTO Main

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • edmondfoxedmondfox Posts: 15
    edited 2005-10-13 17:08
    I am using the stamp 2 OEM
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-10-13 18:08
    Okay, then, it's 9600 baud.· Since the OEM board has caps in the programming circuit you should have no troubles.· To assist, I've added my Hyperterminal file that corresponds to DEBUG, and short demo for it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax