Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
what to use...what to use... — Parallax Forums

what to use...what to use...

Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
edited 2005-10-14 14:33 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to replace a basic stamp with something smaller and cheaper to controll a IR LED in a space a bit too small for a stamp to fit. Im guessing I would need a PIC but your the knowledgable ones so you tell me roll.gif
~Jeremy

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-10-13 02:14
    What are you doing with the IR LED? If you're simply modulating it you can use a 555 circuit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2005-10-13 02:20
    I guess I am simply modulating it.. haha im not sure, Im just using it to do the same basic job as the sony tv remote. Send a message to a IR receiver and have a stamp decode it and blah blah blah. I will look farther into the 555 family.
    thanks
    ~Jeremy
  • Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2005-10-13 23:47
    alright..It appears that I will have to change a resistor and capacitor combination everytime i want a different pulse stream... I am trying to make my own remote with buttons. So I need something I can simply program once and pop it into a circuit and leave. The remote will only have 8 buttons or so..
    edited 2005-10-14 00:01
    Have you considered the SX and SX/B? You could use it to modulate the IR LED _and_ send the pulse stream you want to your device.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-10-14 01:10
    The BS2 is one of the easiest modules to interface. There are smaller PIC processors, but you'll spend more to get the compiler, then get the board built, and so on.

You could use the BS1, I understand that is smaller than a BS2. You'll probably still need a 555 timer to generate the 38 Khz wave, that the BS1 can then modulate to make the 'bit' pattern of a remote.
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2005-10-14 13:59
    This wouldn't be a bad time to expand your horizons. Consider a Pickit programer for $36 and learn assembler language. The software is free and includes a powerful simulator.

The PIC's start at under $1 each for small 8-pin units you could use for controllers. The learning curve is pretty deep but the execution speed is much higher than a Stamp.

My robots us Stamps for central controllers and small PIC's for ancillary units like IR sensing and servo or dc motor control. Communication is based on the Stamp's marvelous serial commands.
    edited 2005-10-14 14:12
    I use the SX to do the same thing. Admittedly, the SX-Key is a little more expensive than the PICkit, but it has pro features that will serve those who purchase it for as long as they use the SX. And we've certainly made the learning curve of the SX easier with the addition of the free SX/B compiler to the SX-Key IDE. For anyone who doubts what SX/B is capable of, have a look at Terry Hitt's (Bean) video overlay module in the SX forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-10-14 14:33
    Jon Williams (Parallax) said...·Admittedly, the SX-Key is a little more expensive than the PICkit, but it has pro features that will serve those who purchase it for as long as they use the SX. And we've certainly made the learning curve of the SX easier with the addition of the free SX/B compiler to the SX-Key IDE. For anyone who doubts what SX/B is capable of, have a look at Terry Hitt's (Bean) video overlay module in the SX forum.

Plus you get the top notch support you've grown to love from Parallax, something which cannot be expressed in $$$ alone.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10