Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Waxing digital with electronic wicks — Parallax Forums

Waxing digital with electronic wicks

Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
edited 2005-10-20 02:35 in BASIC Stamp
I read the artical in nuts and volts magazine about making a candle with a BS1 and some LED's. Maybe I missed something in the article but is it possible to accomplish the same thing with a bs2? If so could I be able to translate the code from the magazine into something the bs2 would understand or is it pretty difficult? I have no knowledge of bs1 programming and not too much knowledge with the bs2 yet.
thanks for the help.
~Jeremy

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-10-13 02:09
    If you have any knowledge of any BASIC Stamp then the translation will be simple -- in fact, using PBASIC 2.5 the program would be easier to write. I wrote that program for the Prop-1 which has the ULN2803 built in.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2005-10-14 05:16
    well ok im going to need more code than what was provided in the magazine article. You mentioned something about simularity of work you had done for bryan. Where can I find that work so I have something to copy from? I really dont have enough knowledge to create half the code to controll the LED's and intermingle it in with the code provided in the article. I apoligize but I am learning so hopefully soon my questions can become fewer and more complicated [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    ~Jeremy
    edited 2005-10-14 13:39
    Jeremy,

I can whip up a BS2 example, and will do that sometime today. Other that that, I don't know what else to do as the article shows the connections and even gives directions for building the candles.

As for what I did for Brian, all I sent him was code and he connected the LEDs on his own.· There is far more presented in Nuts & Volts than I sent to him.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2005-10-15 21:40
    I appoligize but I cant figure out what else I have to write to turn on the LED's, It looks pretty easy but im just not getting it, If any one could help me out that would be GREAT!
    ~Jeremy
    edited 2005-10-15 22:47
    Jay,

Sorry, the last couple weeks have been a blur for me, traveling for work and looking for a new home in southern California· -- and today when I sat down to convert the code... I found I already had!··As you'll see, PBASIC 2.5 makes writing the IF-THEN clauses a whole lot cleaner, and will probably make following program logic a bit easier.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2005-10-15 22:49
    Follow-up note: We found that if you tumble RANDOM three times instead of just once, the output is more visually appealing. Give it a try.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2005-10-20 00:12
    GEEZ im not getting it! I have the electronics connected properly to the best of me knowledge. I opend all three files and coppied them in my stamp editor ( seperatly) and ran the program but im not getting any LED action. Do I have to do anything to the code before I run the program or am I trying to fix the wrong thing? if so i will go back to checking the circuitry.
    ~Jeremy
    edited 2005-10-20 01:45
    Alas......I hang my head in shame. The base pin on the driver wasn't completly in the breadboard all the way. Sorry for wasting space, and yes I have learnd more than one thing from my mistake today. Thanks for the code John it works Great!
    ~Jeremy
    edited 2005-10-20 02:35
    If I had a dollar for every person who told me they had the electronics connected correctly (or misspelled my name) I would be a very rich man ... living on an island ... working with BASIC Stamps while basking in the sun.....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams