Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
servos not working — Parallax Forums

servos not working

alicatalicat Posts: 2
edited 2005-10-13 00:49 in BASIC Stamp
I'm using "What's a Microcontroller" version 1.9 and Chapter 3 is about hooking up servos to the breadboard.· Many of the servos aren't working.· I am running the servos with batteries because I don't have a 9v wall transformer and I remember reading the batts get used up quickly.· Could this be the problem?· Some breadboards will work when I try a new servo but other breadboards won't work with any servo.· I've checked the setup and everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Alicat

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-12 17:24
    Hello,

·· Have you tried a fresh battery, just to make sure?· 9V batteries have very low current capability and run our very quickly when using servos, which draw a lot of current.· Which board are you using?· Is it the Homework Board?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2005-10-13 00:49
    If the batteries get used up quickly, you are either directly shorting them (bad wiring) or the servos are drawing too much power from your battery (you should at least use AA size, if not larger). If it doesn't work on some breadboards, make sure the power and ground are wired properly. Finally, I don't think 9V should be used with servos because their usual voltage ranges is 4.8-7.2V, so some servos may be damaged. Check if they work with RC equipment if you can. Hope that helps.