Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Controlling Physical Music Events with a MIDI keyboard? — Parallax Forums

Controlling Physical Music Events with a MIDI keyboard?

ladekarlladekarl Posts: 1
edited 2005-10-12 17:20 in BASIC Stamp
Hi

I am doing an experimental sound project at my university, and this is what I am thinking about doing:

I want to use my MIDI keyboard, and "Logic" MIDI sequencer on my Apple Mac to open and close vents, which can let air through hoses and in to bottles. E.g. if I push a C on my keyboard Vent 1 will open, blow air into Bottle 1, which will produce a note, and close again when I release the key, if I push a D on my keyboard Vent 2 will open, blow air into Bottle 2, and close again, when I release the key. If I push C+E+G simultaneously, Vents 1+3+5 (Bottles 1+3+5) will open etc. I will then be able to play a simple melody as well as chords

If this is at all possible, I would maybe expand my 'ensemble' with more instruments. E.g. three mechanical arms hitting three different drums, when I push three different keys on my keyboard. With the use of water or air power... or electrical?

I am, however, only a musician, and have no idea of how I can execute the project nor if it is at all possible on a student budget. Can anybody offer me some help, guidance or ideas?

Thanks

Jens L. Thomsen

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-10-12 16:45
    The stamp isn't well suited for receiving Midi commands (it does quite well at generating them though). Jon Williams has posted a Midi receiver project for the SX in SX/B code, so it is fairly well understood by a person accustomed to PBASIC used on stamps. With an SX running the Midi receiver code, you should be able to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Here is a link to his project in the Projects forum: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=533525

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-10-12 17:20
    Also check out the ParallaxEFX forums, there are some threads regarding interfacing with some components you are interesed in, such as this thread regarding air valves. Also the drums could be hit with solenoid controlled mallets (though there may be an issue with clicking noises from activation of the solenoid).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10