Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
can I power a BOE bs2 with a 12volt car battery? — Parallax Forums

can I power a BOE bs2 with a 12volt car battery?

bear_phillipsbear_phillips Posts: 14
edited 2005-10-12 04:39 in BASIC Stamp
I wanted to have my stamp run off of a 12 volt car battery. I thought I read somewhere that a bs2 could be powered by a range from 5 to 15 volts. But my BOE says 6-9 volts on the power plugin. What would be the best way to run this board from a 12 volt power source?

thanks
chad

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-10-12 02:11
    You can use 12 volts -- but if you're getting that 12 volts from a car's electrical system (not just the battery) it may be trouble some. The electrical system in cars is very noisy and that noise may come through and bother the BASIC Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • bear_phillipsbear_phillips Posts: 14
    edited 2005-10-12 02:23
    (Jon, thanks for the quick post )
    The power would be from the battery only (not while in the car). Can I just plug the 12 volts into the regular 6-9 volt plugin?

What is the max it can take? I was thinking maybe at some point of hooking a solar panel up to the 12 volt battery to keep it charged. The solar battery chargers I have seen put out about 14-15 volts. At what point would I need to think about worrying about frying the stamp?

thanks
    chad
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-10-12 03:26
    Actually, that regulator (LM2940) is pretty stout -- we use it on the Prop-1 controller and allow up to 24-volts. You'll be fine with the battery, just understand that the regulator may run a little warm due to the extra overhead voltage.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • SPENCESPENCE Posts: 204
    edited 2005-10-12 04:39
    How about taking a look at jameco catalog pages 175 and 176 in the 2005 aug catalog. They have dc to dc inverters both regulated and unregulated. Think about this 5vdc 1000 ma 5 watts with 9-18vdc in. I think you will find it is worth the effort in efficiency saving plus less heat disipation problems. Available with inputs all the way up to 72 vdc....

spence
    k4kep