Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pwmpal question — Parallax Forums

Pwmpal question

TiboTibo Posts: 81
edited 2005-10-17 11:56 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,

I want to drive the 'Cybot' H-Bridge using a PWMPAL.
My question is :

In order to save some I/O ont my BS2e (not OEM, standart), can I use the PWMPAL alone (not under the BasicStamp, but side by side), and if yes what wiring shall I do ?

Ialready thought of natural answer : if not used all I/O of the PAL are set as inputs...BUT shakehead.gif this does not solve my lack of I/O ont he stamp since I'd like to use 4 of the PAL output AND all the stamp I/O.

So i'd wire only the P0 pin from the Stamp to the PWMPAL, but I dont know about power and electrical issues... confused.gif

Can you help ?

Thank you

Post Edited (Tibot) : 10/10/2005 8:24:08 AM GMT

Comments

• TiboTibo Posts: 81
    edited 2005-10-10 12:51
    Aarg, nobody knows and I cant find the information on the parallax web site [noparse]:([/noparse]

Nobody ever took the PWMPAL aside from the BasicStamp ?
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-10-11 03:43
    Yes, you should be able to run the PWMPAL on its own, only with the following physical connections:
    pin 5 to pin 5 (p0 for data)
    pin 4 to pin 4 (Vss, ground)
    pin 23 to pin 23 (Vss, ground)
    pin 21 to pin 21 (Vdd, +5 volts)
    The connections to Vss and Vdd would not have to be made right on the corresponding Stamp pins. You could find those voltages elsewhere in your system.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2005-10-11 11:22
    hop.gif·cool !

Thank you Tracy !
    edited 2005-10-16 00:05
    Well...doesnt workin in fact smhair.gif
    I tried, re-tried, did a first pcb, then a second...then I checked if pwmpal was not dead ( wink.gif ) wasn't.
    Can't make it run side to side to the BS2... eyes.gif

Dont you think it needs the Vin(p13) pin connected also ?

Thank you !
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-10-16 00:34
    I haven't used the PWMPAL in a long time so I had to go hunting for one -- and I have good news.

First, you're using the PWMPAL differently than we designed it, so be very careful.· Next, you need to make these connections:

- Vdd
    - Vss
    - Rst
    - Sio

The attached diagram shows where the connections are on the PWMPAL.· I suspect you neglected the RST line and I confirmed that if this is not connected (I popped my PWMPAL into the breadboard of a PDB) then there is no communication between the devices.· Note that any of the pins on the PWMPAL that have no names are just blank sockets.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    291 x 412 - 42K
    edited 2005-10-16 02:02
    As you noticed, electonic is new to me and for now I'm practicing ironing, pcb'ing and patience roll.gif !

Thank you for the hunt Jon , I really appreciate the time and energy you spend supporting us. tongue.gif
    edited 2005-10-16 03:04
    A (probably) last question to make sure : idea.gif can I let the RESET pin of the PWMAL floating ? Or do is it mandatory to connect it with the RESET pin of the BS2e ?

Thank you.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-10-16 03:11
    If you let it float, it won't work -- I mentioned that earlier. Since you're new (you said so), I suggest you stop *cheating* (or trying to) and make the connections as they are designed to be made; that will eliminate any further troubles.

Connect: Vdd, Vss, Rst, and Sio to the BASIC Stamp so that the software demos we provide will work. And you'll be on to writing code instead of troubleshooting hardware -- that's much more fun!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2005-10-17 11:56
    I already followed your initial advise (stop *cheating* (or trying to) and make the connections as they are designed to be made) but i got short on free pin....this is why all this *cheating*.
    Thank for all Jon !