Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BOE-USB, OS X 10.4.2, FTDI Drivers — Parallax Forums

BOE-USB, OS X 10.4.2, FTDI Drivers

cmt21217cmt21217 Posts: 4
edited 2005-10-10 00:08 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I've installed the FTDI drivers for the boe-usb, and cannot establish a connection with my stamp. I have checked my system profile and can see that it recognizes the Usb-serial extension under USB. I'm not being prompted with a new port when I enter network preferences and I don't see a new entry for the .kext file when I check the /library/extensions folder. All of this would make you think that the stamp is fried, but it works fine on a friends x86 machine. I have the newest version of macbs2, the new versions of the USBSerialDriver from FTDI, and a fairly vanilla install of tiger( no funny haxies). Can someone please help me? I really need this to run on my lil' tiger and it's starting to make me skull.gif

Thanks

Comments

• edited 2005-10-09 03:23
    Double check the serial pull down tab and make sure the USBserialdriver is selected. If the driver is not a choice for the serial port then you know the driver is probably not loaded correctly. Also under Stamp, make sure the right target module is checked for the right stamp version you are using. I remember on two occaisions I was going crazy because a brand new out of the package BS2 would not be recognized only to find out the either no target module was checked or it was selected to another stamp version i was using previously.
  • cmt21217cmt21217 Posts: 4
    edited 2005-10-09 04:41
    Done and Done, I run into that often when I'm using the machines here at school, so I've become used to checking for both before I do anything. I've banged my head against the desk once or twice as well because of that. I just tested it out on a 10.3.9 machine, and it seems to run fine, but is very glitchy. Basically it ran for about 3 minutes, and now freezes. I'm going through my machine now and attempting to redo the whole macbs2/FTDI install, if no go, then I'll have to suck it up and use a serial version of the BOE, which kinda stinks.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2005-10-09 13:26
    CMT21217-

I have a BOEusb Rev B running just fine under Mac OSX 10.4.2 G4 1.33 GHz Powerbook G4. Current version of MacBS2 is 2.0b12b and it shows usbserial-1B1 under the serial port pull down menu.

Do you see the port in your menu?

What machine are you attempting to access the BOE from; is it a G4 or G5 based machine. As of this posting I don't recall trying it on any of my G5 machines. I will check and post what I find.

Have you tried a clean install of 10.4.2?

Doc
    edited 2005-10-09 13:44
    CMT-

It works fine under OS 10.4.2 on a dual 2.0 GHz Powermac G5 too. Thas was with MacBS2 2.0b10 installed. I had to install the FTDI drivers but that was very strait foward. I installed FTDIUSBSerialDriver v 1.09 which can be downloaded from the FTDI site.

After restart the port shows up in MacBS2 port list just fine. I did NOT even have to "bless" the driver by opening the netport configurations.

Have you checked your cable? Try a different one, perhaps that is an issue.

smile.gif,
    Doc

ON EDIT:

It also works fine on 2.0 GHz iMac G5, also running OS 10.4.2. This was a fresh install of MacBs2 2.0b12 and FTDIUSBSerialDriver v2.01 from the above linked site and everything works as expected.

Logic would indicate since your BOE works under an older version of OS installed and on a friends PC then it's not the board. I suspect you have conflicts on your current OS installation. Do a clean install and start over.

Cheers

Post Edited (doggiedoc) : 10/9/2005 2:20:06 PM GMT
  • cmt21217cmt21217 Posts: 4
    edited 2005-10-09 17:51
    Doc,
    Thanks for all the input. I'm beginning to think a fresh install is the way to go, which is kind of annoying, however I'll give it a shot. BTW, where is version 1.09 of the driver. I've been searching through FTDI's site and have only found v 2.01. Perhaps I should try a different version before I proceed.

Thanks again,
    Chris
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-10-09 21:04
    Before you do a fresh install, run Disk Utility and repair permissions. If that doesn't work, try logging in under a different user account.
    edited 2005-10-10 00:08
    Chris -
    Forrest is right. Try the things he suggested first.

v1.09 is an old installer I had handy. The current version (2.01) should be your better shot at compatibility.

Doc