Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
max 7219 plea! — Parallax Forums

max 7219 plea!

bdocbdoc Posts: 5
edited 2005-10-12 22:15 in BASIC Stamp
So I have a BS2sx and a Max 2719 led driver. I've tried working through the tutorials in the stamps in class documentation, the max data sheets.... literally almost everything I can find but I can't get it to work. All I need it to do is display a count (just count.... literally, the basic stamp counts and displays the count).... nothing fancy and I still cannot get the driver to work. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any pictures or eve sample code? Again..... this should be simple but I really cannot get it. Anyhelp would really be appreciated!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-08 15:24
    bdoc,

·· I have used this chip in countless counters and clocks.· Many are 6-digit clocks.· I find it extremely easy to use.· Have you tried the sample code in the StampWorks manual yet?· That's what got me started with this chip.· StampWorks is a free download from our website.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • bdocbdoc Posts: 5
    edited 2005-10-09 01:29
    I've tried the code from the stamp works package and haven't had any luck whatsoever. Any other simple samples around?
    edited 2005-10-09 01:32
    If the StampWorks code didn't work, then you have bigger problems.· That code works as listed.· You may have a bad chip.· You may have a·damaged I/O pin on your BASIC Stamp.· What isn't working in the StampWorks code?· Do you even get the display to light up?· If not I'd seriously consider checking your connections.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • bdocbdoc Posts: 5
    edited 2005-10-12 21:16
    Well I've done some investigating with the code - Using the code as listed and the pins correctly connected nothing lights on my LEDs. If I change the pin in the code to a different number whithout changing the wiring (ie the data in is no longer connected) the LEDs all light for test mode. I've tried wiring to different pins on my BS2... I know these pins work but I still get nothing. ANy idea?
    edited 2005-10-12 21:28
    If the code is unedited, it should work.· If not, you have a wiring or power issue, or a damaged part somewhere.· Did you download the code and load it into the BS2?· Or, did you copy and paste it, or even type it in?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-10-12 21:39
    Also, please check the following project, since it uses the MAX7219 and six 7-segment displays.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=552892

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-10-12 22:15
    Okay, I don't know how many digits you have connected, but I stripped down my clock code which uses 6 digits.· Regardless, this code will turn on (enable) 6 digits and print the numbers· 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to them.· This code is very small and only requires you to use the pins specified in the code, or put in the pins you have connected for the clock, data and latch.· If this doesn't do anything you have a non-code related problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com