Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Direct command of BS2 via serial? — Parallax Forums

Direct command of BS2 via serial?

KamenKamen Posts: 4
edited 2005-10-06 12:36 in BASIC Stamp
I picked up the WAM and BOEbot kits, and I am still going through the boebot lessons. Like most newbs Ive got an ambitious project idea in mind and am trying to figure out how to make it happen. I have 2 questions. First, I am wondering if there is some way to directly control the BS2 from the serial port. That is, execute commands directly without having to precompile and download them, perhaps a raw mode of some kind where io pins can be read/written to?. I am also wondering about the various RF cable replacement modules, the EmbeddedBlue and the SureLink. My goal is to have a bot capable of roaming around inside and outside my home using a remote vision system. What I need is the best PC<->Bot radio link capable of connecting through household walls. The vision system I plan to use is he Eyecam found at www.rctoys.com. Anyone have any experience with this or know something better? Thanks in advance folks [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-10-06 10:39
    The BS2 can only execute BASIC tokens stored in the EEPROM. The only 2 ways I know of to get tokens into the EEPROM are to program the stamp thru the programming connector or program in a socketed EEPROM (like the BS2OEM) and then move the EEPROM to the target module.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-10-06 12:36
    It's actually a pretty small program, to tell the BS2 to read its serial port, and set its I/O pins accordingly.

Like:

MAIN:
    SERIN 16, 84+16384, [noparse][[/noparse]IO_Byte]
    OutH = IO_Byte
    GOTO MAIN

My point being, you don't have to theorize some kind of 'magic' processor, that just 'knows' what you want without programming it -- it's really very simple to program the BS2 to implement what you want.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 10/6/2005 12:40:16 PM GMT