Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic stamp turns off after programming from laptop serial port? — Parallax Forums

basic stamp turns off after programming from laptop serial port?

johnbotjohnbot Posts: 18
edited 2005-10-05 18:09 in BASIC Stamp
anyone have this problem? I usually program on my imac via a usb to serial converter but after attempting to program from an old dell 3800 laptop via serial cable it turns off. hmm. it gets the program but i need to unplug the serial from the board of education to get it going again. any info would be greatly appreciated.

John
·

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-10-05 05:05
    johnbot -

If you're speaking of the Stamp "turning off", how are you differentiating between the Stamp being "turned on" and it being "turned off"? Are you implying that you can not program the Stamp from the Dell laptop system? Which operating system are you using on the laptop?

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • johnbotjohnbot Posts: 18
    edited 2005-10-05 05:47
    i meant the green stamp light is on, i program the stamp and it immediately shuts off and the program does not run, if i simply unplug the serial cable from the board of education, wait about 4 seconds, the green power light comes back on and it begins running the new program i just sent to it. I'm running on WinXP.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-10-05 13:07
    Are you using a custom built cable?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-05 14:08
    Are you sure you're not using a Homework Board?· If the Power LED on a BOE is going off, either you have a short or a bad power connection.· As for having to unplug the cable to run the program, this is a problem with many Dell Laptop computers which take over the COM Port after programming is complete and the Stamp Editor releases the Port.· The effect is that the BASIC Stamp is continually reset by this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-10-05 16:16
    Sorry, my mistake. I am in fact using the homework board. Do you know of anyway to prevent this from happening on a Dell? If not, I guess I could always use the usb>serial converter that I had on my Imac.

Thanks again.

p.s. I'm using the cable that came with the homework board which worked fine on my mac.
    edited 2005-10-05 16:43
    Hello,

·· I know of no known work-around for that problem.· It's related to the computer, not the BASIC Stamp or the Editor software.· It's definately a hardware problem.· If you have a USB-to-Serial cable that worked on the Mac, it should work on the PC.· What brand is it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-10-05 17:18
    I believe it's a keyspan (dont have the exact model right now, at work) .
    edited 2005-10-05 18:05
    If it's a 19HS or 19W it should work using the Windows XP Drivers, which you should get the latest from their website.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-10-05 18:09
    Word. Will do. Thanks!