Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Error message and missing drivers — Parallax Forums

Error message and missing drivers

macarthur64macarthur64 Posts: 3
edited 2005-10-17 01:51 in BASIC Stamp
When I attempted to identify the BASIC Stamp 2 that I believed was connnected to my compuer (before I could even get anywhere with the installed software), I received this error message: "A fatal exception OE has ocurred at 0028:C16F1FA7 in VXD BASIC2(01) + 00007387." I tried it on another computer in my house, however, and it worked flawlessly. The troublesome computer has been in the shop before for missing drivers, which leads me to think that this may indeed be the culprit. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem? thanks.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-01 20:58
    Hello,

·· It sounds like a Windows Me system to me.· In any event, if you've had problems like that before it's usually one of two things, Windows Me being one of them (In my experiences).· The other is virus/adware/spyware problems.· Sometimes in their attempts to completely control your system they conflict with Anti-Virus software or are simply poorly written, and end up trashing the registry.· Again, this most often happens on Windows me systems, but Windows 98 could exhibit similar symptoms.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • macarthur64macarthur64 Posts: 3
    edited 2005-10-05 03:51
    Thanks Chris, but I don't that's the case. The os is Windows 98 and i don't think i have any extranneous programs. when it was having trouble before, my mom and I took it to Best Buy, who essentially wiped it clean and restored all the drivers. i've only put two programs on it since, a copy of·a game·and a basic music editing software. since there isn't anything on there i particularly care about though, i think i'll try erasing those programs (and any others i can that i don't need) and then try it again.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-05 14:17
    Well, it still sounds like the registry was damaged.· You could simply look in your Device Manager and see if there's a driver problem.· As for taking your computer and having it "wiped clean" I always thought that was taking the easy way out for computer "technicians".· That doesn't identify the root/cause of the problem, so when it happens again you have no choice but to start over again.· I've seen the same thing when someone's taken a virus infected computer to some places.· They'll often just wipe out everything and do a restore.· But you have to go with what works for you.· Down time certainly isn't desireable.· Good luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • macarthur64macarthur64 Posts: 3
    edited 2005-10-17 01:51
    Thanks so much, Chris