Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DIY Robotic Arms — Parallax Forums

DIY Robotic Arms

Bill KennyBill Kenny Posts: 15
edited 2005-09-29 23:32 in Robotics
Hello All,
·
I am a DIY kind of guy and was wondering if any of you or you know of someone who has made their own arms and if they documented their progress. I could buy·some I guess, but I like making things and I don’t want the dust to collect and get to thick on my Mill & Lathe.
·
Thanks
Bill·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Thanks

Bill

Post Edited (Bill Kenny) : 9/29/2005 7:17:07 PM GMT

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-09-29 21:03
    I know that Robot Builder's Bonanza has a chapter on DIY robotic arms. Id find a way to scan the chapter, but I really don't want to tread upon copyright infringement (looks bad for a patent examiner to flagrently violate the rules). Also www.lynxmotion.com has servo brackets that can be used in erector set style constructions, here is their picture of a 5 DOF arm:

aarm05.jpg
    While you want to create your own from scratch, you can use thier parts as a guideline and thier assembly instructions for the arm·on which parts are used and how its constructed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2005-09-29 22:07
    You could study the picture paul has posted in this thread as a guide and then use your mill/lathe to design your own fancy billet parts. You could even buy one of the Lynxmotion servo brackets and use a caliper to "copy" the drill hole dimentions to use on your own custom billet parts so the Hitec servos will mount perfectly.

I have thought about doing this but I don't have a mill/lathe.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

--
    Formally RoboROOKIE.
    ·
  • Bill KennyBill Kenny Posts: 15
    edited 2005-09-29 22:49
    I am not sure I would use the aluminum as they show. These cannot lift that much weight at this scale. I was thinking of building it out of "3mm / .125" ABS sheet and gluing it up with Weldon or MEK for the brackets. My main hobby is RC flight (since 1974) so I have more servos in almost every size and torque imaginable to play with. I would only use the Mill and Lathe for speed so I could Gang cut the sheet ABS. I think it is possible to build this on a kitchen table so I think I am going to give it a whirl.
    ·
    Does anyone have a robotic arm?
    ·
    Since this would be my first Robotic arm, anyone with experience with one, do you have any tips and concerns to give me?
    ·
    All feedback is VERY WELCOME!·smilewinkgrin.gif··
    Thanks
    Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

Bill
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-09-29 23:32
    Did you check out the arm in the "Projects" forum?· It has a schematic, code, and pictures.· Here is the link to the arm:· http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=551118

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·