Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 OEM Breadboard — Parallax Forums

BS2 OEM Breadboard

NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
edited 2005-10-09 14:49 in BASIC Stamp
When I got my BS2 OEM kit, instead of the 20-pin header that came with it, I installed a 20-pos female header -· has the little pin sockets just like a machine collect DIP, except slightly larger in diameter.· I then designed a little plugin adapter that plugs into the female header, and added a Parallax breadboard on it - P/N 700-00012.· The adapter has a 10-pos header on each side of the breadboard, 16 I/O pins, 2 Vdd positions and 2 Vss positions.· Now I have a BS2 OEM BOE!!· I had to add an extra 20-pos header between the adapter and the BS2 so the adapter would clear the top edge of the DB9 connector.· And the whole thing takes up only half the space of the regular BS2 BOE.

(The company bugler will now play "Charge!")

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Sid Weaver
Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-29 00:39
    Sid,

·· Interesting contraption.· Are you going to call it the "Board Of Siducation"?·· =)· You have to give it some kind of name now.· Half-sized BOE won't cut it!·· <grin>· <playing charge>

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-09-29 01:10
    Sid:

This sounds like a great idea. Please post a picture when you get a chance.

How did you provide for the connection to power? Does it have a power switch?

Russ
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-09-29 12:02
    Chris, I love descriptive, original names for things I do or make.· Board of Siducation beats anything I've been able to come up with so far by a mile.

Thank you, sir.

Russell, there will be two wires·coming ·from the adapter for Vin and Vss.· My current plan it to patch them to a BOE or my PDB.

I'll post a picture when everythng is done.· My big problem right now is coming up with·labeling for the two 10-pos headers.

Sid
    edited 2005-09-29 20:22
    Thanks to Chris Savage, the BS2 OEM breadboard·will now be refered to as the Board of Siducationyeah.gif

Sid
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2005-09-29 21:11
    That's pretty cool! Post more info, like pictures. I'd like to make one. I just got 10 new BS2 OEM kits in today (more birthday presents for myself!!) and it would be a cool project for this weekend!

Cheers,
    Doc
  • TINkER_MANTINkER_MAN Posts: 3
    edited 2005-09-29 21:20
    HI EVERYONE

I for one like the name Board of Siducation
    Thanks Chris for a good name for it

SAM
    edited 2005-09-29 21:35
    I'll be posting pictures as soon as it's finished.· Have all the holes drilled.· Will do the etching tomorrow morning.· There are 66 etching operations and once you start you can't stop until its finished.· Have all the parts on hand so you should see pictures Friday or Saturday.

Sid
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-29 21:40
    Congrats Sid,

·· I'm glad you found a board setup you like.· As you can see, you've got more people interested in what you've done, so now you have to share.· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-09-30 23:51
    Just finished my Board of Siducation.· Here are a couple of pictures.

BOS 5 is a top view.· I was going to lay it over the BS2, then decided to leave that area open, just in case.· That meant a little support for the free end.· You can see 2 bare pins - those are to patch in Vin and Vss.

BOS 2 is a bottom view.· You can see the extra header I had to add between the adapter and the BS2.· You can also see the little wooden support.

I'll make another tomorrow.· Have a couple of ideas to improve it.

Anyway, take a look.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

338 x 468 - 11K
    450 x 301 - 7K
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-10-01 05:16
    Sid:

Thank you for posting the pictures. The idea is worth considering.

Russ
    edited 2005-10-01 20:55
    Here is Revision A of the Board of Siducation.· Where is the BS2 OEM?
    It's underneath the BOS!· In spite of my earlier comments, I think I like this one better.· Takes up less real estate, and the connecting pins for Vin and Vss are in a more logical place.· I just push a 2-pos header on to the two pins.· The other end of the header cable has a connector that mates with a wall adapter.· I trimmed out the board a bit different and this time I was able to get labels on it. Seems like things always get a little bit better the second time around.

Sid
    450 x 395 - 11K
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2005-10-01 23:55
    HI Sid

I·like this
    Do you have any idea how much the·Board of Siducation·are going to cost
    Please let us all know

THANKS

SAM
    edited 2005-10-02 11:52
    I really hadn't thought about selling the BOS.· If your BS2 is already assembled per the kit instructions, then you have pins on the edge of the board, which just about rules out the BOS.· If you have a BS2 that is not completely assembled or are going to order one, then the pin strip on the edge has to·be replaced with a 20-pos header.· Then y9u could use the BOS.

I guess I'll just wait and see if anyone expresses interest in having one.· If so, then we will work something out -· do they want just the board or do they want the·whole thing assembled.

Sid
    edited 2005-10-02 19:35
    HI SID

I was just·talking about· the Board of Siducation· only

I built the BS2 un assembled and i could use a board just like that for testing

ideas that come to mind

THANKS

SAM
    edited 2005-10-03 12:46
    In case you would like to build your own Board of Siducation, here are the part numbers required.· They are all Samtec parts except for the breadboard:

1 ea Breadboard· Parallax 700-00012
    1 ea Header· SSW-120-01-S-S
    1 ea Extender ESQ-120-13-S-S
    2 ea Header SSW-110-01-S-S
    1 each Strip Header TSW-120-16-G-S

Sid
    edited 2005-10-05 15:58
    I have been asked to modify the Board of Siducation so that it more closely matches the BOE layout, which might assist students - and others - performing some of the experiments in the various Parallax documentations,

So.......I made the following changes to the layout:

With the adapter laying over the BS2 OEM, all 16 I/O pins are available at a header on the right side of the little breadboard. Pin 0 is at the top, Pin
    15 is at the bottom.· On the left side of the breadboard, top to bottom, there is a 12-pos header -· 4 Vdd, 4 Vss and 4 Vin.

I haven't made the new board yet.· It really stretches the vertical limits of my Super Mill.· The board requires a vertical dimension of 1.700 and the max travel of my Y table is 1.8125, so it will be close.· I'll post a picture if all goes well.

Sid
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2005-10-08 17:53
    · The OEM BS2 is such a good deal.·
    · I make cables using Molex "C-Grid" pins and connectors (available from Digi-Key) and route them to headers wired in parallel for multiple I/O pin access, it's like a reverse proto-board (having header pins instead of wire sockets.)· I can then patch in off-board circuits, switches, terminals, &c.
    · In fact, I·use that proto-board patterned printed circuit board for this (I bought a bunch a long time ago, they may still be available at Radio Shack).· Similarly patterned boards would work just as well.
    edited 2005-10-09 14:19
    Here is the latest version of the BS2 OEM Board of Siducation.

It actually worked out better than I thought it would.· The whole board is the same size as the original, and I think the porting of the I/O pins, plus 4 ports each for Vin, Vss and Vdd is a definite improvement.

I used 1.6 inches of travel on the Y table - I probably could have used 1.7.· So on my next board I'll see if I can make a board with a vertical requirement of 1.7.· X travel is no problem - I can probably go up to 3.75 or 4.0 inches.

Sid
    450 x 392 - 11K
    edited 2005-10-09 14:49
    ·HI Sid And Every one Else

Sid······························································· idea.gif

This is very good idea with the right side of the board where you have all

the·Power·Pins and on the left side where all of the I\O pins are

SAM