Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ave a recommendation for a USB to serial converter that works with Virtual PC o — Parallax Forums

ave a recommendation for a USB to serial converter that works with Virtual PC o

roboticmaggotroboticmaggot Posts: 12
edited 2005-10-01 17:27 in BASIC Stamp
Does anyone have a recommendation for a USB to serial converter that will work to program a basic stamp using virtual PC on Mac OS 10.4. I have tried everything to get a keyspan adapter to work but it just doesn't seem to do the job.

Thanks
-Andrew

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-28 19:39
    Hello,

·· You can try the FTDI adapter we carry.· It's inexpensive and seems to work for everyone on their native OS, although·we can't guarantee operation on an emulated/virtual OS.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-28 19:40
    Though I believe I heard from one customer that when the VTDI VCP drivers are installed in the Windows emulator, everything works fine.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-09-28 23:40
    FYI there's a native Mac BASIC Stamp IDE available at www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2/
  • roboticmaggotroboticmaggot Posts: 12
    edited 2005-09-29 00:28
    Forrest said...
    FYI there's a native Mac BASIC Stamp IDE available at www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2/

Thanks. I do know about this but I have some needs that revolve around programming in Windows
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2005-09-29 23:55
    Hi roboticmaggot-

(interesting choice of names)

If you are using Virtual PC and a FTDI based adapter, then as metioned above you need to install the windows FTDI drivers. These are available at the bottom of this link.

I have a keyspan adapter here somewhere. I think it is a USA-19, and if memory serves me right - it works with Virtural PC 7.01 running on MacOS X 10.4.2 just fine. I'll look for it and give it spin to make sure.
    edited 2005-10-01 03:08
    doggiedoc said...
    Hi roboticmaggot-

(interesting choice of names)

If you are using Virtual PC and a FTDI based adapter, then as metioned above you need to install the windows FTDI drivers. These are available at the bottom of this link.

I have a keyspan adapter here somewhere. I think it is a USA-19, and if memory serves me right - it works with Virtural PC 7.01 running on MacOS X 10.4.2 just fine. I'll look for it and give it spin to make sure.

If you can get a keyspan adapter to work I would love to know how! I tried just about everything. I just ordered the FIDI based adaptor from parallax so I will give that a whirl soon.

Thanks!
    edited 2005-10-01 04:46
    I haven't used it in a while, but I'll get it out and set it up. I'll walk you through it then.

Doc
    edited 2005-10-01 15:05
    Andrew-

Apparently I was brain-dead when I wrote that. I am currenlty not having any luck getting the Keyspan USA-19hs to work with virtual PC and the Parallax Stamp Editor. It does however work with MacBS2 software. Perhaps my memory was a little fuzzy on that subject. <shrug>

Cheers,
    Doc
    edited 2005-10-01 17:27
    I had the same results. Thanks for trying!