Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
problem building an OEM BS2p40 — Parallax Forums

problem building an OEM BS2p40

skinnydudeskinnydude Posts: 20
edited 2005-10-03 14:29 in BASIC Stamp
I'm trying to build the BS2p40 on a custom design.· Using the schematic from this link

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/schem/bs2p40SchemRevB.pdf

I tried to build one using these parts from parallax

PBASIC INTERPRETER CHIPS
PBASIC48W/P40

EEPROM
602-00013

RESONATORS
250-12060

also, for the PNP and NPN transistor pack, I used
DDTA114ECA
DDC114EU

Then I used the Basic Stamp Editor v. 2.2, go to run, identify and it doesn't detect it.
I get
Loopback: Yes
Echo: Yes
but nothing under Device Type nor version.

The software and cable works correctly because it can detect the Basic Stamp kit I bought, but not the one that was just designed.

Attached is my schematic.· Can anyone tell me if I'm using a wrong part number or if my design is flawed?· Thanks.

Comments

• Jon MJon M Posts: 22
    edited 2005-09-28 10:12
    I've had the same problem. it appears to do with the resonator timing but I can't see the reason why when I compare my design with the official one.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jon Millard
  • skinnydudeskinnydude Posts: 20
    edited 2005-09-28 14:19
    I see you said "had."· Was wondering if you fixed it by redesigning somehow or if you still have the same problem.
  • K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2005-09-28 14:56
    Hi,

I see a resitor of 10k across the resonator, to my feeling that resistor may be a bit larger 1M, or so.

Regards,

Klaus
    edited 2005-09-28 21:18
    Parallax's schematic says to put 10k, not a meg.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-09-29 03:15
    I don't see anything amiss in your schematic. The oscillator should work at room temperature with just about any feedback resistor there. Have you checked for 20mhz at OSC2, or around 2.5 volts average there with a voltmeter. Also check at MCLR to be sure that ATN pulse is coming through when the IDE tries to identify the Stamp. Power supply voltage 5v okay? If it is hand soldered, check all the connections again under a microscope (I bet you've already done that at least 10 times!).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2005-09-29 16:25
    It looks like my oscillator isn't working right.· I think when hand soldering, the heat destroyed it.· I'll have to get all through hole and put a socket on it to make sure.· Hopefully I'll know by tomorrow.
  • mmmm Posts: 56
    edited 2005-09-29 16:51
    Change the 10 k resistor across the resonator to a 1 meg ohm and it should start working. I don't know here that 10 K resistor came from in the parallax data sheet but the Ubicom data sheet recommends 1 meg ohm.

Mike
  • Jason-WIJason-WI Posts: 35
    edited 2005-09-30 02:40
    I have an older schematic of the p40 that shows a 1 meg across the resonator not 10 k. You are most likely loading down the resonator.

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-30 04:09
    Jason,

·· I believe the schematic is correct, but I will verify it with one of our engineers and post back.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-01 00:48
    Hello,

·· I confirmed today that we are, in fact, using the 10K resistors on the BS2p40 modules.· The schematic is correct.· If you're using a resonator purchased from us, the value is correct for it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-10-03 14:29
    apparently I had some bad 5pf capacitors.· I removed them and it works fine.· I put new ones in and it also works fine like that.· Thanks for all the input and help!