Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using SCP (serial control protocol) with Speakjet — Parallax Forums

Using SCP (serial control protocol) with Speakjet

TonyATonyA Posts: 226
edited 2005-09-28 16:32 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I am trying to learn how to use serial control protocol to control the sepakjet chip. They give some info in the maunual but it's very vague on how to use this info in an actual program.

Example:

To write a value of 500 to the first oscillator and set its value to 16.

Send "\0"
Send "\8J" (set address to envelope control)
Send "0N" (set envelope control to zero)
Send "1J"
Send "500N"
Send "11J"
SEnd "16N"

What is this "Send" command, is it the same as serout?

Thanks for any info,
TonyA

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-09-27 14:22
    Usually, when people write the stuff you've copied, they do mean "Send these bytes using an RS232 uart" -- which the BS2 implements with SEROUT, yes.
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 226
    edited 2005-09-27 14:30
    Hi,

Yes, I just found an old post, someone asking exactly what I am. The code there should help a lot. I wish there were more examples of this though.

If anyone can refer me to some examples it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Tony A
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-27 18:40
    You can use SCP with the SpeakJet as the attached demo shows.· I quickly lost interest in the SpeakJet so I didn't do any SCP demos beyond this one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2005-09-27 18:54
    Hi Jon,

That's great. Thanks.

Why did you lose interest in it? I am very curious to know what your thoughts are.

It's like someone came up with this idea and then dropped it.

(Do you know of other sound/synth chips that might be easier to use?)

Thanks again,
    Tony

Post Edited (TonyA) : 9/28/2005 3:25:38 PM GMT
    edited 2005-09-27 19:19
    In my opinion, it didn't live up to its own hype. I can't understand why they would create an multi-voice synthesizer without envelope control -- that would have made the chip perfect. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a useful device, just not as cool as I expected it to be.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Fe2o3FishFe2o3Fish Posts: 170
    edited 2005-09-28 00:01
    Tony,
    Personally, I'd skip the Basic Stamp for a bit, hook up your PC to the SpeakJet,
    get the SJ manual out, and start tinkering directly (with appropriate RS-232 conversions
    between the SJ and your PC). Once you get it to do what you want, or close enough,
    then start the programming of the BS2. Go through JonW's examples. I'll be glad to
    help, if you have questions.

There are a some folks on the SpeakJet Yahoo group that have built rather elaborate
    synthesizers with the SJ. Persual through the archives there may turn up some contacts
    and websites.

I s'pose, if someone scrapped the voice synthesis portion of the SJ, a multi-timbral
    synthesizer would be easily possible, if I understand what JonW was expecting. Still, I
    like the SJ for what I thought it was intended, a voice synthesizer as opposed to something
    that would go act as musical instrument. The fact that the SJ is readily understandable as
    a voice synth. is quite amazing given that it's an off-the-shelf PIC processor. I've really
    enjoyed tinkering with it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rusty-
    --
    Rusty Haddock = KD4WLZ = rusty@fe2o3.lonestar.org
    **Out yonder in the Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area**
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
    edited 2005-09-28 00:34
    Hey Rusty,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'll start with the pc and sj, then go on to the BS2 and sj using Jon's example. I'm starting to undestand it now.

I thought the sj would make a good experimental synth. I'm always looking for other chips that can be controlled with a microprocessor.

Thanks again,
    Tony A
    edited 2005-09-28 01:05
    I agree with Rusty that the SJ does a very good job with speech synthesis -- the multivoice tone synthesizer (something I'm more interested in for sound FX) is lacking in that you have no programmable envelop control, so I think this severely limits the SpeakJet for your application. Give it a go, and if you come up with something really cool, please share.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2005-09-28 15:28
    Hi Jon,

Yeah, I'm starting to see that. I know it's not really meant for making a musical synth.

Do you know of any other synth chips that would work well with the BS2?

Thanks again,
    Tony A
    edited 2005-09-28 16:32
    I haven't had a lot of time to explore, but I was going to order a sample of the part used in the XGameStation (SX52-driven game console):

http://www.xgamestation.com/products/xgs_me/downloads/bu8763fv.pdf

Edit: In reading through the specs, it does have envelope control either...· Will keep looking, I guess.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams

Post Edited (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 9/28/2005 4:48:23 PM GMT