Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
color lcd question — Parallax Forums

color lcd question

crackticus potscrackticus pots Posts: 34
edited 2005-10-02 20:21 in BASIC Stamp
use to be tinman now·I have a better screen·name.

anyway I have another lcd that is a color display from·a camcorder
and·I was just wondering if it was posible to drive a color display with a BS2p.
my app a color alarm clock

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
sucess is when you fail and try again

·-Churchill

Post Edited (crackticus pots) : 9/27/2005 3:15:47 PM GMT

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-09-27 17:23
    It is very highly unlikely, one of my backburner projects is creating a driver for a cell phone color LCD. At 50MHz it is a tight fit to be able to generate the nessesary timing signals for the LCD while doing anything else (for instance a call/return pair takes too long, so absolutely no subroutines can be used). Im having to resort to very inventive programing of hand multi-threading the timing signals with other functions and a very fast task scheduler to string together sub functions. Considering consumer electronics do things on the cheap, there is likely no way for you to adopt it's controller either, unless your a master at reverse engineering.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • crackticus potscrackticus pots Posts: 34
    edited 2005-09-29 15:50
    thanks
    it will save me lots of time and mony looking for a color lcd that I can't make work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    sucess is when you fail and try again

·-Churchill
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-09-29 16:51
    You CAN drive a color LCD display with a BASIC Stamp if it has a composite video input and an ezVID module multilabs.net/ezVID.html
  • Donald BartleyDonald Bartley Posts: 19
    edited 2005-10-01 21:07
    To expand on the point Forrest made I connected an ezVID 2.0 to a color LCD module.· Sorry I'm not a better photographer but I attached some photos tongue.gif

I got the LCD module for $49 and now it is a serial graphics LCD module.
    640 x 480 - 56K
    640 x 480 - 46K
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-01 21:19
    Donald,

·· That LCD Monitor looks familiar?· Tiger?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    352 x 282 - 21K
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2005-10-02 00:57
    Hello!
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, I also just harvested a color LCD off a mobile phone. Paul, can you give me details of your project?
    Rafael
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-10-02 02:58
    The key to getting it to work is finding a specification sheet for the communications protocol. Something I made sure I could find before purchasing mine (a Sony model). One good place to look (besides the obvious Google) is www.EarthLCD.com. Second you will need a microcontroller fast enough to pump data to it at the expected rate, unfortunately the Stamp won't cut it, thats why Im using the SX, lastly you'll need a fast SRAM to keep the video data in since a microcontroller doesn't have enough data space, this means your microcontroller will need lots of I/O pins, so Im using the SX52 with 40 I/O pins. Its not a project for the faint at heart or the inexperienced. Ive been working on it here and there for a few months and there are some major hurdles I have yet to overcome, though I have devised a general approach I think will work. I have designed a breakout board for the LCD screen since it runs at 3.3V and the SX runs at 5V, but I haven't had it fabed yet for lack of funds. Eventually Id like to be able to offer it as a product but the timetable for completion is affected by things which are beyond my control.

If you are serious about pursuing this, I can give some tips and pointers, though Im hesistant to publish my work for obvious reasons. If you want a simple and straightforward method of getting something that·works, I would go with the NTSC enabled monitor and ezVID option others have been talking about.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 10/2/2005 3:49:21 AM GMT
  • Donald BartleyDonald Bartley Posts: 19
    edited 2005-10-02 17:30
    Chris,

Yep, tigerdirect.· To bad they are out of them, what a great monitor.· I have seen a similar one at All Electronics on their website www.allcorp.com
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-02 20:21
    Donald,

·· Thanks for the pointer/link...Apologies to OP for going off-topic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com