Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spinning Wheel of Death-Stamp problems with MAC — Parallax Forums

Spinning Wheel of Death-Stamp problems with MAC

mikethomasmikethomas Posts: 6
edited 2005-09-27 22:45 in BASIC Stamp
So im trying to learn the basics of stamp programing. Im using a USB board of education coupled to my G4 running macbs2.11. I completed the "Pushbuttoncontroloftwoleds" project which worked fine except the HOME formatter did not appear to work-(the DEBUG ? IN3 and IN4 kept scrolling down the debug terminal). So, I try to download a modified verson of the last project to my BS2 but I end up with the spinning wheel of death that locks up my computer. I reboot and its obvious that the stamp is communicating with my software b/c the DEBUG lines are scrolling through the debug terminal. I can ID the stamp every now and then without locking up, but it locks up more often than not. If i RUN a program, it is guaranteed to lock up. Im lost???? Could there be a problem caused by the HOME command not functioning? Is it a macbs2 thing? I need some help so I can continue on.
confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Comments

• doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2005-09-27 01:07
    You may be better off installing Virtual PC and running Windows 2000 in emulation. This works just fine. I use VPC with my 1.33Ghz G4 powerbook and it works flawlessly. You don't need a lot of speed to run the Stamp Editor - Parallax has done a excellent job with that software. Besides, then you have the help file available that is without a doubt a wonderful resource for the beginner and old pro alike!

Cheers!

Doc
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-09-27 07:06
    The MacBS2 debug window does not support HOME, as you observed. And it doesn't support keyboard input either, something you will need for tesing your programs, sooner or later. If you want to stay within a Mac only environment, then download zterm. It is a terminal program that emulates just about any control you could want, including HOME. It is an easy matter to switch between MacBS2 and zterm. Go-serial is another terminal program for the Mac, but it is nowhere near as powerful as zterm (doesn't support HOME either).

If MacBS2 locks up, can you should be able to force quit (control-option-escape) no?

zterm: www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6888

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-09-27 10:17
    Try running Disk Utility to Repair Permissions on your drive.

What version of OSX are you using on your G4?
  • mikethomasmikethomas Posts: 6
    edited 2005-09-27 12:43
    Mac OS 10.4.2
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-09-27 13:10
    Did Repairing Disk Permissioins fix your problem.

I've used MacBS2 infrequently over the past year and it works fine on my G4 running OSX 10.3.x.
  • mikethomasmikethomas Posts: 6
    edited 2005-09-27 21:42
    Well, I went to a fellow friend working with stamp and connected to his computer in order to remove the program with HOME in it. Im back in business. I did run disk utility, and it seems to communicate better with the stamp ie: it downloads much quicker. Thanks for the help guys!
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-09-27 22:45
    I mis spoke about zterm understanding the BS2 HOME character (ascii value 1). What it does understand are VT100 escape control codes, like
    DEBUG 27,"[noparse][[/noparse]2J" ' clear screen
    DEBUG 27,"[noparse][[/noparse]H" ' to HOME position, 1,1

I can put a HOME character in a MacBS2 debug, though, and it does not lock up the Mac.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com