Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Which board?????????? — Parallax Forums

Which board??????????

ajs2001txajs2001tx Posts: 25
edited 2005-09-24 17:52 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying to find·proper board for a BS2.· I have an agricultural application, thus the·stamp is going to be bounced around on a piece of equipment in a rough crop field.· I need a board where I can easily connect and disconnect from the PINS.· Hopefully with a terminal strip and a phillips head screw to tighten down the wires for the I/Os.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-23 01:49
    You may need to create your own board for such an application.· Or, you could use a Stamp Carrier board and affix the Stamp Module to it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ajs2001txajs2001tx Posts: 25
    edited 2005-09-23 01:57
    Chris,

·· Can I add something to an order I placed about an hour ago?

Thanks
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-23 03:18
    Call the sales department (888-512-1024) FIRST THING in the morning -- someone is usually in by 6:30 AM Pacific Time. The sales group is a cool gang, they'll sort you out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-09-23 15:52
    How about the Stamp PLC?

30064_3views.jpg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Alan BradfordAlan Bradford Posts: 172
    edited 2005-09-23 23:43
    What type of I/O are you controlling?
    Is is it safe to assume it is 12 volt dc stuff on the·AG equipment?
    How much I/O do you need?
    Let me know I may be of some help to you.

Alan Bradford
    Plasma Technologies
    www.plasmatechnologies.com
    edited 2005-09-24 00:09
    Yes, 12 VDC.· 16 pins will be fine.· I/O consists of one rotary encoder, 2 limit switiches, 3 push buttons in prallel with the simple RF receiver for their web site (5 pins used total between the RF and push buttons), and ouputs of 5 solid state relays.· What did you have in mind?

Thanks
    edited 2005-09-24 00:23
    Is the PLC only in the 24 VDC flavor?· Looks like that is the way to go.· Is there much difference between that PLC with the Javelin and the simple BOE that I am used to?

Thanks for your help?
    edited 2005-09-24 13:22
    Hi,
    ·Could you explain your appication in more detail? Is the encoder for reading a shaft position, or a control knob? What type of RF interface is used?

The controller will run on AC or DC input from 10-35 Volts. I have used it with the Stamp-2 and 2p-24. I have not used a Javelin Stamp, but I will order one and make sure it works too.
    It has 16 I/O positions to put a Solid State I/O module. You can mix and mach AC or DC, Input or Output modules.
    It is a machine controller. Most industrial machinery uses·switches and valves/motors to run. This controller was designed for that type of operation. Conveyors, Welders, Fabrication and Assembly Lines·are all in this category. This differs from a process controller, in that process control is more analog in nature. Move this piece in the oven until it reaches a certain temperature, or measure the ph of a solution being mixed. This is process control. and not addressed by my controller.

A picture of·one of my early boards, installed in Phoenix and still in service,·is posted in the projects section. The post is General Purpose Controller Board.
    There are 2 boards in that post. The one I am describing (posted 09/16) and the one that Tom Sisk has developed.
    Take a look.

Thanks,
    Alan Bradford
    Plasma Technologies

·
    edited 2005-09-24 15:43
    Alan and all,

In areas where cotton is grown when it is harvested it is dumped into a "module builder."· The module builder is basically a moible metal·box with movable press to compress the cotton into a roughly 6' wide x 8' tall x 22' long module for hauling by a live bottom truck.· See the picture below.·

The encoder is an input and will be shaft mounted to tell the stamp when the press has moved a measured distance which changes throughout the program.· ie "Move press AWAY 3 feet by listening to the encoder."

The RF I am planning on using is:

attachment.php?attachmentid=73995

The RF remotes are so when we drive up to the module builder we can stop the program, dump a load of cotton, and start the program again without leaving the tractor seat.·

I think that answers what you were asking.

Thanks

Andy
    600 x 450 - 92K
    780 x 145 - 15K
    edited 2005-09-24 17:52
    Hi,

This is a good application for a machine controller. The encoder could be as simple as a Hall sensor counting teeth on a gear.

The controller can be made to read all the I/O you are looking for.

I am looking for someone to beta test the board. I have used them for years, but I am also my only customer. Some outside feedback would be nice.

Contact me if you are interested.

Alan Bradford

Plasma Technologies