Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Com1 in use - need XP help — Parallax Forums

Com1 in use - need XP help

Patrick DPatrick D Posts: 62
edited 2005-09-26 13:50 in BASIC Stamp
for some reason my BOE/BS2 quick communicating...·· It worked fine until I rebooted my PC the other day. Now when I try to connect with the BS Editor or Stamp Plot, I get a message indicating that the port is busy.· I have a 2nd Generation BOE (serial on Com1).· No new software has been installed, and no existing software has been changed.· I had the same problem once before, but it turned out to be my Palm's Hot-Sync Manager.· This isn't the case this time, as I have removed the Hot Sync software from the startup menu and have verified (using the Task Manager) that no Palm related applications or Processes are running.· I called tech support at Parallax and we took several voltage measurements - all which appeared to indicate that the stamp is functioning normally.· At their suggestion I reinstalled the editor, however I am still getting the same results.·· Can someone tell me how to troubleshoot XP (pro) to determine what is using my Com port?

Thanks A lot,

Patrick in Memphis

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-23 00:29
    Patrick,

·· Something is tying up the port...Are you sure you have all the parts of the Sync software disabled?· You could test this theory by temporarily uninstalling the Sync software itself.· Also, I would scan for viruses and ad-ware.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Patrick DPatrick D Posts: 62
    edited 2005-09-23 20:25
    I ran a full virus scan and ran ad-aware last night. I removed the hotsync software and still got the same effect. Any more ideas?
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-09-23 20:33
    Wheb you open the Stamp Editor and click on the ID icon in the tool bar, what does the screen say about Com 1?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
    edited 2005-09-23 20:51
    I'll have to check when I get home this evening... Thanks
    edited 2005-09-25 02:25
    It says "Can't open, port is in use"
    edited 2005-09-25 11:50
    OK, Patrick.· Now turn off your computer, unplug the serial cable from the PC, boot up and try again.· Let me know.

Sid
    edited 2005-09-26 02:55
    Sid,
    that fixed it. Now what would cause that to happen?
    Thanks!!
    Patrick
    edited 2005-09-26 12:06
    Patrick, is it OK with the serial cable plugged back into the PC?

You could have an intermittently ·bad serial cable -· that does happen once in a while.· To eliminate that possibility for sure, I would buy a new serial cable and junk the one you are using now.

Sid
    edited 2005-09-26 13:50
    I'll do that. Thanks again for the help