Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB problem — Parallax Forums

USB problem

BaDong01BaDong01 Posts: 2
edited 2005-09-28 02:31 in BASIC Stamp
Im going insane trying to find an anwser to my problem. I had my USB working before, but i stopped using it for like 3 months and i was doing fixing and reloading my machine during that time. Now the USB is a selectable port in the STAMP software, just the serial ports are. Is there some patch i forgot to download or what?

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-20 12:42
    Did you relaod the FTDI VCP (virtual com port) driver?· You need to.· You can find instructions here:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/acc/USBInstallWinXP.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • BaDong01BaDong01 Posts: 2
    edited 2005-09-20 14:12
    are you sure that link correct? it dosent seem to work.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-20 14:17
    The link is correct.· Please try again.· Or, go to the following link and scroll to the bottom of the page.· The instructions and driver are located here as well.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28850

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Matt101Matt101 Posts: 2
    edited 2005-09-26 14:43
    When I try to install the driver for the USB Serial driver, I keep getting and error message saying a problem occured while installing.
    edited 2005-09-26 14:51
    If this is on Windows XP, do you have sufficient access to install drivers?· You must be an admin not limited account to install drivers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Matt101Matt101 Posts: 2
    edited 2005-09-26 14:52
    I'm running on XP by the way. I downloaded parrallax from the web site and downloaded the usb-serial driver separately. I followed the instructions on the pdf except i extracted the driver to a folder on my desktop instead of the temp. It still should work I assume. Anyone have some solutions. I'm doing this for a highschool robotics class.
    edited 2005-09-26 15:17
    Matt,

·· Desktop folder is fine...Is this a school computer?· If so you may not have sufficient access to install the driver.· This is just a guess, you didn't say from my previous comment.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-09-26 18:04
    You haven't said, but all the answers you're getting assume an FTDI USB Adapter. If your adaptor is NOT an FTDI USB adapter, downloading the FTDI drivers is not going to help -- you need the appropriate drivers for YOUR adapter.

USB adapters differ widely in their drivers.
  • NoodlesNoodles Posts: 19
    edited 2005-09-28 02:31
    If this machine is connected to the network (internet) XP can often get its drivers itself. Do be sure to get the VCP or virtual com port Ver. from FTDI and NOT THE DCXXX or what have you b/c one is for direct connections and is on the same page ( I made them same error) also some USB devices and their drivers can cause this FTDI driver to fail. I used my cell phone data cable for internet at one time and this was serial mostly yet I had the USB cable and the drivers for my phone hated the new driver and the had it out all over my laptop so I made a new hardware profile. engineers do ofter use the same hardware in products as we do and they don't always get along. My advice If all else fails remove all other USB devices if the driver then works then thats the problem or have the school admin fix it so your not accused of HACKING by some one who is not aware of what your intentions are.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"We Are Not Human Beings Having·A Spiritual Experience,

··············... We Are··Spiritual Beings Having·A·Human Experience"