I head of this new chip CUBLOC on
Nuts and Volts Magazine...
CUBLOC has 80KB of data memory which I thought was
unreal.
·

Comments

• Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-09-20 03:14
    Which is "·better "·depends on a lot·on what you want.·There is more to life than memory. How is it programmed?
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-09-20 03:43
    I did a little bit of searching through thier site, and if the thing does what they say it does, then its a pretty decent little module. The thing I find most impressive is that its a BASIC engine and PLC in one with each operating independently. Not owning one I cannot say how they actually measure up. I couldn't find any metrics for speed of execution which I find annoying. And every forum has ~4-5 posts in them; though a guy, max, seems to answer everyone's questions (what few of them there are).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-09-20 13:01
    The company was formed September 1, 2005. They bought advertising space in the September Nuts&Volts.

It looks like yet another BS2 clone, this time done with an Atmel chip. Could be nice, depending on their implementation. Note there are other BS2 clones -- the big problem with them is that most do not use PBasic, and thus the excellent Parallax training materials won't work with them. And none of the others I've tried have as extensive a library of training materials as Parallax.

Also, I believe they are treading very close to Parallax's patents and trademarks (note I don't work for Parallax personally and have no knowledge of how far you can go before you are treading on Parallax's property).

For $100, why don't you buy a kit, try it out, and report back?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-20 13:13
    I think the reporting should be done elsewhere, and we should stick to Parallax products here. I'm sure they would consider us rude to talk about the wonderful features of the BASIC Stamp and great support offered by Parallax on their board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-09-20 13:14
    Roger that, Jon.
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2005-09-21 14:13
    Its easy to spend big money on the newest product. But I have to credit Parallax with a level of documentation and customer support that is difficult to beat.