Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Old BS1 only manuals available? — Parallax Forums

Old BS1 only manuals available?

RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
edited 2005-09-23 02:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I've been experimenting with a BS1-IC, and I am finding it a bit confusing having to sort through all the BS2xx stuff in the current manual just to figure out what works with the BS1. There are a lot of differences between the BS1 and the BS2 types.

I found the last part of a Basic Stamp 1 Programming Manual (version 1.9) cleverly disguised as BASIC Stamp 1 Application Notes on the Basic Stamp documentation page, but it's only programming examples and starts at page 71.

Are the first 70 pages of this manual still available somewhere and I just didn't find it? I'm assuming the first part has all the command, syntax and memory info (and that the 1.9 version was the last version of the manual before the BS2 came out).

Basically what I'm looking for is BS1 only documentation so I can concentrate only on that without having to filter through all the other Basic Stamp stuff. Is there a book maybe that I should buy?

Thanks for any help.

Rick

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-16 11:38
    I think you'll have to find a physical manual as we didn't start printing documents as PDFs until after the BS2 arrived.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2005-09-16 13:28
    Okay. I will see if I can track one down.

I also found your article "The BS1 is Back", it is very helpful. I have the BS1 stuck in an old Radio Shack breadboard and am programming it through the BS1 Serial Adaptor.

Thanks for the info.

- Rick
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-16 13:32
    Nobody was more thrilled than me when our guys came up with the serial adapter and added the BS1 to our Windows IDE. I started using the BS1 in 1994 (as a customer) and have a few hundred programs (that I've written for myself and others) on my drive. And just this year John Barrowman and I started the Parallax EFX group with the Prop-1 Controller as the first product. At its core is, of course, a BS1.

I can't make any promises, but perhaps I can get someone in the office (I telecommute from Dallas) to scan and PDF the original BS1 manual. I know that the original files are long gone (or seriously lost) -- because I went looking for them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-16 14:15
    Hello,

·· I can offer you one more easy way to get the information on commands that work with the BS1.· Use the Stamp Editor's help file.· When you go into Help and lick on PBASIC Reference (On the word, not the plus sign) you get a whole list of all the PBASIC Commands, complete with Stamp Module numbers next to them, as well as PBASIC Syntax requirements all on one page.· From that page it's easy to see what commands are supported by the BASIC Stamp 1 and click on one to get specific help on that command.· To get back to the list just click on PBASIC Reference again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-09-16 14:51
    Rick,

I have a copy you can have.· It's in relatively good shape...looks like it was torqued at one time in a packing box during one of my moves.
    If you are interested, contact me through PM or E-mail so I can get a mailing address from you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    539 x 768 - 159K
    BS1.JPG 159.1K
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2005-09-20 11:29
    Hey, thanks for the offers but I was able to find a copy of the 1.9 manual using Google. The entire file was over 3 megs, but for the BS1 only info that I was looking for, all I had to print was the first 70 or so pages.

Here's where I found it in case anyone else wants a copy.

Basic Stamp Manual version 1.9

http://robotics.me.jhu.edu/~llw/courses/me530420/stamp2/stamp_manual_v1_9.pdf

That's at Johns Hopkins University Dynamical Systems and Control Laboratory web site.

There's some interesting stuff there about underwater robotic exploration.

- Rick
  • edited 2005-09-23 02:05
    I'm also playing with my old BS1, tks to all you and Dave via E-mail its up and running,· yes all the help Jon gave me in 1995 is paying off also.· My new BS2.5 is sure nice, but its like old·times·playing with the old one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Old redneck hillbilly born and raised on a redwood stump