Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB or Serial — Parallax Forums

USB or Serial

TwinTwoTwinTwo Posts: 2
edited 2005-09-20 19:00 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

My Daughter, Twin Brother and I are very excited to start learning all about programming and working with the basic stamp devices.

We are about to purchase the Basic Stamp Discovery Kit and are debating on whether or not we should get the USB or Serial. On one hand we know that USB will be easier and will give us the ability to keep using it in the future. On the other hand, we do not see Serial going away anytime soon and with serial we can program on almost all computers.

If we purchased the USB version, and we get the USB to Serial cable, are there any issues we have to worry about.

Also... We noticed the Basic Stamp Discovery Kit (Stock # 27207-700-00065-28162) is a little less in costly then the·BS2sx·Starter Kit with Board of Education (Stock # 27206). The basic Discovery Kit looks like it has more content and materials then the BS2sx Starter Kit.

Do they have different chips on them that makes one more versatile then the other. Just trying to make the best choice for us to learn and keep learning in the future.

Thanks in advance

Bob J-

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-13 19:43
    Bob,

·· If you purchase the USB version of the Discovery Kit, you won't need the USB to Serial cable/adapter.· You'll get a USB cable that plugs right into the board.

·· As for the BS2sx Start Kit, the BS2sx is a faster version of the BASIC Stamp 2.· The documentation and most of our example code, however, is for the BASIC Stamp 2, making it a better choice for getting started.· If you need a Stamp Module comparison though, you can find one at the link below.· Take care!

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/tech/faqs/stamp_specs.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-09-13 20:06
    The other nice thing about using the Serial BOE is that you can then plug your BOE into other serial port devices -- like modems, or serial printers, or an X10 house controller. And the USB to Serial adapter tends to be useful for your PC, too.
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2005-09-13 20:52
    I would get the Serial version and then you can always get the Serial-to-USB adaptor later down the road if you want. I don't think there are any issues with the adaptor.
    edited 2005-09-13 21:07
    The adapter uses the same chip as that on-board the USB BOE.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • PirateJoePirateJoe Posts: 3
    edited 2005-09-13 23:14
    hey, i've got 2 computers at home, and was wondering the same question.

i've got an imac running os x
    ibook running linux/osx

if i get the USB version, will it work okay with os x, or VPC on os x? what about linux?

i know the serial version+usb adapter works okay, but i hope to save a little money by just getting the usb version.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-09-13 23:23
    The USB Board of Education does work with the Macs.· ·I'm not sure about LINUX?· I imagine that it would due to the fact that the FTDI works with most USB devices.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
    edited 2005-09-14 00:35
    The FTDI adapter/USB BOE does work with Linux, as does our Professional Development Board, which has both Serial AND USB interfaces for programming the BS2 series.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-09-14 07:36
    TwinTwo said...
    Hi All,

My Daughter, Twin Brother and I are very excited to start learning all about programming and working with the basic stamp devices.

We are about to purchase the Basic Stamp Discovery Kit and are debating on whether or not we should get the USB or Serial. On one hand we know that USB will be easier and will give us the ability to keep using it in the future. On the other hand, we do not see Serial going away anytime soon and with serial we can program on almost all computers.

If we purchased the USB version, and we get the USB to Serial cable, are there any issues we have to worry about.

Also... We noticed the Basic Stamp Discovery Kit (Stock # 27207-700-00065-28162) is a little less in costly then the BS2sx Starter Kit with Board of Education (Stock # 27206). The basic Discovery Kit looks like it has more content and materials then the BS2sx Starter Kit.

Do they have different chips on them that makes one more versatile then the other. Just trying to make the best choice for us to learn and keep learning in the future.

Thanks in advance

Bob J-

I thought it might need clarification. If you purchase the USB version, then also purchase a USB-Serial adaptor, you still wouldn't be able to program on a computer that doesn't have a USB port. From your post I got the feeling that you wanted to purchase a USB board, and use the USB-Serial cable to plug into the board, thus allowing you to program the board with serial. This can't happen. The USB-Serial cable will only allow a PC to have a USB port, and turn that USB port into a serial port. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. If you purchase the USB board, you must program it with a computer that supports USB. There is no convinient way to do otherwise.

Knight.
  • TwinTwoTwinTwo Posts: 2
    edited 2005-09-20 19:00
    Sorry for my late reply
    Thank you all so much for your responses.· We did get the Serial Version of the Basic Stamp 2 and are very excited to get started. The 3 of us have been reading and learning as much as we can and are having a great time.·
    If a Parellax Rep is reading this, we also would like to give a big thanks to you and your team.·Everyone there is very helpful and answered every·question we had.·We know that·all of you have·answered the same questions we newbees have over and over, but somehow made us feel confident about our next step without us feeling stupid.
    Our hats are off to Parallax Inc and EVERYONE in this forum who took the time to answer. We are looking forward to the day where we can contribute to the forum and not just ask for help.
    ·
    Bob, Bill and Amanda