Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Old stamp — Parallax Forums

Old stamp

edited 2005-09-13 21:27 in BASIC Stamp
I have an old stamp, one of the first ones that came out.· It uses the parallel port and I'm trying to load it from the new software, it has the BS1 available, is there a cable to connect to a serial port that would work with what I'm trying to do?· Tks much for any help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Old redneck hillbilly born and raised on a redwood stump

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2005-09-13 02:58
    You'll want to get the serial adapter so that you can use the new Windows-based "IDE", instead of using the parallel port cable and the DOS-based editor.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27111

There's also a schematic of it available in the Downloads section, if you're keen to roll your own.
  • edited 2005-09-13 17:25
    Thank you so much Mr Allen,· Its ordered, was about to throw it away.· I have an old 486 out in the garage for Xmas displays, but getting lazy and want to program in the confort of the computer room.

Again Tks

Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Old redneck hillbilly born and raised on a redwood stump
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-09-13 17:47
    Just some info on the 25 pin RS-232 : you really only need 9 pins for asynchonous communication (hence the adoption of the DB9 connector):

25 pin -> 9 pin
    2 -> 3
    3 -> 2
    4 -> 7
    5 -> 8
    6 -> 6
    7 -> 5
    8 -> 1
    20 -> 4
    22 -> 9

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2005-09-13 21:27
    Hey, Bill [noparse][[/noparse] LfS ]·-- assuming you're going to use your 9-pin serial port, something else you'll need is a serial-port extension cable (a male on one end and a female on the other, wired straight through), otherwise you'll have to stick the adapter right into the connector on the back of the computer with the BS1 stuck on that: and that'll be a·total drag.· With an extension you·have it all·in front of you.

Hopefully you're using a PS2 mouse (so that your 9pin serial port is "available.")

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 9/13/2005 9:26:13 PM GMT