Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic or Javelin STAMP? — Parallax Forums

Basic or Javelin STAMP?

BullwinkleBullwinkle Posts: 101
edited 2005-09-13 15:56 in BASIC Stamp
I want to get into this micro-controller stuff. It looks like a great way to have fun. Two projects I want to do are:

- Watering system controller

- Smart cat door that reads our pets RFID chips and only admits them - not the neighbourhood tomcats!

Both the BASIC Stamp and Javelin Stamp look like they would do the job very well. But from my casual observation, most of the "action" seems to be on the BASIC Stamp front.

Should I buy a BASIC or Javelin Stamp?

BTW - I am a very experienced programmer with many years of working in bothe Java and BASIC ( a long time ago in a galaxy far far away )

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-12 03:39
    Bullwinkle,

·· I guess that question would be best answered by what language you prefer to program in...BASIC or JAVA?· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-09-12 13:09
    The BS2 has lots more examples, and is much more straightforward to interface with.

The Javelin is great if you really know Java, or want to increase your knowledge of it.

Also, the BS2 is about $50, where the Javelin is about $100.

And the Javelin has 32K of RAM, which is used both for your program and variables, where the BS2 only has 2K of program storage, and 26 bytes of RAM.

So you pays your money and takes your choice. Starting out, I'd go with the BS2 and a BOE kit for about $120 total. Then, upgrade to the Javelin if it made sense.
  • Adrian SchneiderAdrian Schneider Posts: 92
    edited 2005-09-13 14:28
    Hi

I think your intened projects can be realized with one of the more powerful basic stamps,
    probably starting with a bs2e. If you want some more speed use a bs2sx or bs2p (or a bs2px of course).
    These basic stamps should provide sufficient memory and you can modularize your program
    into multiple memory slots.
    Of course you can size any project to go beyoand the capability of any microcontroller.

Regards
    Adrian
  • basicstampedebasicstampede Posts: 214
    edited 2005-09-13 15:56
    Hello.· I own both BS2 and Javelin.· I was able to quickly get up and running on BS2, but my Javelin·hasn't seen much use.· For a beginner, I think BS2 is a better choice.· There are more educational material to help you get started.·