Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
5x7 led display WORKING code attached — Parallax Forums

5x7 led display WORKING code attached

JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
edited 2005-10-05 16:25 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

Judging from the response to previous posts in this thread, I don't think there is much interest in scrolling LED signs. Nonetheless, since I managed to get it to work, I thought I'd post the code.

I am using a BS2p, and it is just fast enough for 2 digits. I might be able to *barely* make it work with three digits, I'll try when I get another display. I think I see how I can improve the speed of the code a little.

If anyone is interested in details of the project, let me know. My plan is to get another couple of the displays and try using an SX chip to drive it. That should be fast enough to use four digits and use the bicolor aspect.

While I wait for the new displays, I'm going to work on a VB based editor for graphics too.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot

Comments

• T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2005-09-27 02:38
    I just bought the BOE-BOT yesterday and very much interested in using the PBASIC stamp (BS2) to create a moving display sign (something I have tried to create in the past with out using a microcontroller). If you have any information on this please send it my way. Thanks!
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-10-04 16:58
    Check out the Robolympics metal that Parallax has. The schematic and source code are here too.
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28099
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012
    Product web site: www.sxvm.com
    Available now... SX-Video OSD module $59.95 www.sxvm.com

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess"
    Red Green
    ·
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-10-04 19:41
    Hi All,

Funny about my post above, while it didn't generate any intrest on the forums, I got a number of personal e-mails about it.

I have since the above post got a very smooth scrolling system going with the 2p, and it could easily handle four digits. My initial system was very clumsy, but it works well now.

As I said below, my intention is to make it work with the SX, to reduce cost to students (this is a high school project). However, my SX programmer is having an issue, and I haven't had time to sort it out.

The latest code I have is attached. I'm pretty sure that even a BS2 is fast enough, but it does not have the native I2C commands. I would order the SPI version of the driver, MAX7952 for the BS2. That way you can just use the SHIFTOUT command.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Sun1ShineSun1Shine Posts: 10
    edited 2005-10-05 13:34
    Cheap and cheerful quick scrolling LED display can be created by using a LED display badge (they are normally powered by a cr2032 battery), one programmed by a serial port, and then outputting text to it via the BOE or WAM serial port. I have already done this with my WAM (Homework board). This is $20 or so and only requires your serial port and the correct sequence of control characters to the badge. I have a brand new case of these and could provide one (plus cables batteries and software) if you are interested. If this is for school students projects I can provide a multiple unit price that is at my cost (I am not interested in making any money off of this).
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-10-05 16:25
    Sunshine,

Thanks much for the kind offer. However, I assume the badges you are talking about are assembled. I like to make the students build the thing, it keeps them quiet longer ;-0. Also, I like the four digits, makes it easier to read. The total cost of the project is less than US$20.

Like I said, I am going to port this over to an SX chip. Funny tho it may seem, since I am new to the SX I am prototyping with a PIC. Hehe, that is the opposite of my normal procedure!! Anyway, I have it all working with a PIC, and you can either load a font or message file using Hyperterm or similar. The sign can hold 33 hours or so of messages!! I think I went overboard ;-0

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔