Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Funky HWB reset problem — Parallax Forums

Funky HWB reset problem

CJCJ Posts: 470
edited 2005-09-11 04:10 in BASIC Stamp
Today I get out my Homework board, go to prep it for use in a new project by giving it a stop command, I hook it up, brand new battery, the power light doesn't come on or blink like usual when first powered, I go to ID it in the editor and it comes back with just
loopback and echo.

I have checked the 5v with a multimeter, 5v dead on, so I decided to check the voltage of the reset line, it fluctuates between 3.5 and 4 volts,

this looks to be the problem, but does anybody have any ideas as to what could cause this,

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-10 23:46
    CJ,

·· How are you programming it?· Are you using a Laptop/Desktop?· Are you using USB/Serial?· If USB which Adapter?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2005-09-10 23:51
    Serial, same hardware I've been using right along, by the way, the fluctuation is more like a pulsing
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-10 23:53
    CJ,

·· Do you have any Active-Sync/Hot-Sync software on your PC?· It almost sounds as if something is toggling the DTR line on your serial port.· Does the reset line do that if it's not connected to the computer?· Do you have another computer you could try it on just to see what happens?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-09-10 23:56
    I did the multimeter testing with nothing connected but the battery to minimize outside interference
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-09-11 01:05
    CJ -

Did you check the voltage at the battery whether you think it's good or not?

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-09-11 01:08
    9v on the money
    edited 2005-09-11 04:10
    the strange activity seems to have subsided, started working when I had measured the voltage accross the reset button but only when the probes were applied, then it started working fully, the only thing I had done differently between then and now was press the reset button rapidly

the strange things that make stuff work.....