Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2px not recognized by Stamp Editor — Parallax Forums

BS2px not recognized by Stamp Editor

doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
edited 2005-09-11 16:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all again..... (tired of me yet *grin*)

I can't seem to get the Stamp Editor to recognize either of my 2 BS2px's that came in today.

My setup: Windows 2000 Professional via Virtual PC 7.02 running on a Powermac Dual 2.0ghz G5.
Boards Tried: Professioal Development Board (tried both USB and DB9 connections)
Power supply 9v 300mA converter from Radioshack
Cables Both USB mini pin that came with PDB and Serial Db9 to usb adapter from IOGear.

If I install a BS2 - it works fine.

I also have the same results when I install the BS2px on any of my BOEs including the new USB version.
(all of which also work fine with the BS2)

Is there any thing else I can try? I really doubt I got 2 bad BS2px's There must be an issue I don't understand. Could the BS2px be to fast for emulated WINDOWs?

I also tried murat n konar's Max OS X software to no evail.

Please help.

Thanks in advance,
shakehead.gif
Doc

Comments

• kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2005-09-10 11:19
    what version of the stamp editor do you have? I belive you need to update the editor version to use the PX.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_basic_stamp.asp

attachment.php?attachmentid=74001
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    General Information for 2.2
    • Added support for BS2px v1.0
    • Modified to ignore File Associations and Tips File settings when a source file is given on the command line.
    • Modified to enable the USB-based boards to support the BS2pe.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Bug Fixes for 2.2
    • Fixed Serial routines to open any COM port number (1 to 256).
    • Fixed bugs that caused the software to except when user tried to invoke functions through the command line such as:
      stampw.exe /tokenize something.bs2 > output.txt
      -- or --
      stampw.exe /download something.bs2 > output.txt
    • Enhanced Enumerate COM Port routine to work properly with a rare case where the computer has more than on GUID for the reserved name 'PORTS' in the registry.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ

Post Edited (kb2hap) : 9/10/2005 11:30:17 AM GMT
    302 x 52 - 2K
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-09-10 11:20
    Sounds like the UBS adapter from IOGear is the problem. murat n konar's FAQ specifically says the Prolific chipset (sold by IOGear) does NOT work with his program because the OSX drivers don't support the Stamp's programming protocol.

Secondly, a 300 mA power supply is inadequate if you plan on building complex circuits on the PDB. I'd go with a 7.5VDC 1 Amp power supply.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2005-09-10 11:49
    kb2hap said...
    what version of the stamp editor do you have? I belive you need to update the editor version to use the PX.

Using version 2.2 of the editor and 2.5 tokenizer. That was my first thought. I even reinstalled the software to see if it mattered.
    edited 2005-09-10 12:04
    Forrest said...
    Sounds like the UBS adapter from IOGear is the problem. murat n konar's FAQ specifically says the Prolific chipset (sold by IOGear) does NOT work with his program because the OSX drivers don't support the Stamp's programming protocol.

Secondly, a 300 mA power supply is inadequate if you plan on building complex circuits on the PDB. I'd go with a 7.5VDC 1 Amp power supply.

Yes, I never intended to use murat n konar's software because my machine emulates windows plenty fast. I tried a different power supply too, 9v 800mA. Still neither BS2px is recognized but if I remove power swap in a BS2 in - the BS2 is recognized and does a "Hello World" just fine.

I am going to try to find a hardware PC today to see if it has anything to do with the windows emulation. (Side note - I was able to get murat and konar's software to work with the BS2 using the USB version of the BOE and on the PDB, but still not with either of my BS2px modules).

Doc
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-10 18:41
    Doc,

·· I suppose it could be the Windows emulation...One difference between the BS2px24 and all the other BASIC Stamp models is that the BS2px24 programs and DEBUGs at 19200 bps, rather than 9600 bps as the other Stamp Models do.· This could be causing grief for the emulator with faster timing requirements.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-09-10 20:22
    Chris,

Thanks for the info. I have exhausted my own resources on this one. I even reinstalled windows and mac os. Same result: reads the BS2 just fine but not the BS2px.

I am going to see if I can manipulate the speed of the port with the px on it. I am out of ideas. [noparse]:([/noparse]

Doc
    edited 2005-09-10 20:40
    Doc,

·· Do you know anyone with a PC that you could try this on?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-09-10 21:16
    Chris, "you've got mail" *grin*

I can't think of anybody I would want to trouble with it. But like I mentioned, I might just run down to CompUSA and pick up a PC. Oh the thought of it! A PC in this house *ack*.... Just kidding. I have that rebellious attitude I suppose. BTW - the OEM kit I put together spit back it's "hello doc" program with out a blink. I least I did that right. *shrug*

Cheers,
    Doc
    edited 2005-09-10 22:49
    Before buying a PC, I'd try a FTDI USB to RS232 adapter that Parallax recommends www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030 or a Keyspan USB to RS232 adapter. Murat Konar list's both of these as being compatable with MacBS2

FYI I've fixed the link above so it point's to the Parallax USB adapter

Post Edited (Forrest) : 9/10/2005 11:56:04 PM GMT
    edited 2005-09-10 23:15
    Forrest,

I suppose the one that Parallax sells is not one of those... Besides, I have tried it on a USB board and a Serial board with 2 different adapters that all work with the BS2. It's got to be a latency issue or something to do with the way virtual PC emulates the ports. Hell, I am talking out of my ears now. I was up until 4:30am this morning working on it, then got up at 7:30 and went to work. I got home about noon and have been at it since. I am about to give up.

sad.gif
    Doc
    edited 2005-09-11 00:03
    Talking out of your ears and pulling out your hair are both side affects of using Windows - I've got a bald spot to prove it smilewinkgrin.gif
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2005-09-11 01:22
    I dont have any side effects from using windows... tongue.gif
    edited 2005-09-11 03:38
    Well - I gave up. I now join the ranks of millions and have a Windows XP Computer.... *ack* j/k - It's not all that bad.

Oh and YES!!! The BS2px's work just fine!!!!

Cheers!
    Doc
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2005-09-11 14:02
    Congrats on the transition to the best, Windows XP! I'm glad you got the BS2px to work. The BS2px is my next module to buy.
    edited 2005-09-11 15:42
    Doc,

·· In a way it's sad that you had to buy a PC to make use of your new toys...However, a part of me remembers back in 1992 when I was still Anti-PC myself.· I had a Commodore Computer business and couldn't stand anything but the C=64, C=128 and Amiga.· BUT, my EEPROM programmer, Cross-Assembler, Circuit Design Software, Simulator, etc all ran on PC.· So I had this dedicated PC in the corner just for Electronics/Programming tasks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-09-11 16:19
    The force in the universe is balanced again - my wife bought an G5 iMac yesterday. Whew - that was a close one tongue.gif