Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Identification error on BS2p — Parallax Forums

Identification error on BS2p

bohbbohb Posts: 7
edited 2005-09-11 21:55 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

just started using the sowtware for a small home control project. I've got the system to work ,except for some bugs, which I wanted to correct this morning. Suddenly I got a identificatio problem on the serial port. I found a similar problem a year ago, but the forum gave no answer, so I'm trying again.

The circuit is working including the serial port, I have a terminal user interface so I can see temperature data and log files in the debug window, but when I try to download software (new or old) it can't find my Basic stamp on the same port! Trying to identifying it it says:

Identification
Device Type:
Version:
Loopback:Yes
Echo:Yes

I'm using a USB to serial adapter on virtual port COM6.

As I said, it worked until this morning.

Are there any suggestions, ways to completely reset the BS2p etc?

Bohb

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-09 14:13
    bob,

·· What happens if no circuitry is connected to the BS2p when you try to download?· What is your power source?· Has the COM Port number recently changed?· What version of the editor are you using?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 9/9/2005 8:18:27 PM GMT
  • bohbbohb Posts: 7
    edited 2005-09-09 17:52
    Hi Chris,

Have not tried to remove the BS2p24 when downloading, will do that but need an adapter for that.

The power source is a 9V battery backuped 7805 connected to a 12V mains plug.

I tried to change the COM-port after the problem occured, without any improvement, so I switched back to the default one.

I'm using version 2.2 of the editor

Thanks,

bohb
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-09 18:26
    Is the battery low? The 7805 is not an LDO and needs a bit of overhead. If it's not at least 7 volts I would think you need to change it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2005-09-09 20:24
    Bob,

·· I didn't mean remove the chip, I meant disconnect any circuitry connected to it and sharing the power source, but now that I see you're using a 9V battery, I would definately suspect that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-09-09 20:52
    Yup, low 9-volt battery is the current suspect.
    edited 2005-09-10 18:53
    Sorry,

was a little unclear in my description, the main power source is the 12 V Mains plug, The battery is just for covering any glitches on mains power.

I disconnected the 9V battery, still the same problem. Checked the 5 V, stable like a rock

Disconnected a LED that I used for hardware debugging (with the 470 ohm resistor in series) still the same problem. I reprogrammed the BS2p several times with the LED connected...

Any more suggestions?

bohb
    edited 2005-09-10 19:01
    Actually, you didn't mention what was connected to the BS2p other than an LED/Resistor.· Your first message indicated a Home Control project.· What did you have connected?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • japerjaper Posts: 105
    edited 2005-09-10 19:05
    bohb,
    have you installed any software that use a COM Port. if so change that port to COM port # currently unused then go directly to
    basic software try to idenify. have had this problem also and this seems to work.
    japer
    edited 2005-09-10 19:53
    Chris,

I have a lot attached, through an internal SPI-bus. EEPROM, ADC, DAC, an extra PIC slave (currently unused), RTC. The only thing that was directly attached to an external device (outside the PCB) was the LED. Everything have been working for months...

I've tried to change the COM-port no luck unfortunately, japer. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Are there anyway to do a factory reset on the BS2p?

/Bohb
    edited 2005-09-10 20:02
    Okay,

·· Now I have a bigger picture of what's going on...I thought you had the BS2p on a demo board or at least one of our boards.· This means currently the BASIC Stamp Module is in-circuit.· What I was suggesting earlier was that you take it out of circuit and try it.· Do you have a BOE or BS2p Demo Board that you can plug it into to see if it identifies while not connected in-circuit?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-09-10 20:26
    Nope
    thats why I figured I made an adapter (24pin IC socket with all pins cut but 1-4,21-24) to get a simple "naked" chip. I'll do that tomorrow and report back (It's ten pm in Sweden...)

/bohb
    edited 2005-09-10 20:38
    Here's the problem with what you're trying to do...Even if the I/O pins are all disconnected, the unit still gets it's power from the same board/supply as everything else, so if there's a conflict, short, ripple in the supply, etc. you're still going to have that problem.· Then there's also the possibility of something wrong in the programming port section of your board.· Without isolating the BS2p you're probably going to have inconclusive results.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-09-11 20:32
    Hello again,
    problem solved! The RS232 cable is too long to work every time for programming, but works for normal communication. Weird, I'm still well within RS232 spec (12 metres of cable). What does the BS2p do different when programming compared to other serial communication on the RS232?

My solar panel control system is now working!

Best regards,

/Bohb
    edited 2005-09-11 21:55
    One of the things that's different during programming is the DTR line is used.· Timing could also be an issue.· At least you have it figured out though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com