Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Motors Problem — Parallax Forums

Motors Problem

TBkTBk Posts: 2
edited 2005-09-09 01:01 in BASIC Stamp
I'm using a BASIC Stampt Homework board, and I have a 5VDC motor that I want to run. For some reason however, it will not work when connected to the ports, like P1 and P0. It will, however, work when directly connected to Vss and Vdd. It also will not work when connected to a 470 or 1K resistor, but I haven't tried with any other resistors. Can anyone tell me the problem, and if so, how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
TBK.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Random Quote of the day:

"If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough."

Post Edited (TBk) : 9/9/2005 12:54:20 AM GMT

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-09-09 00:33
    TBK,

Your random quote of the day actually answers your problem... Assuming "Drute" is actually "Brute" smilewinkgrin.gif

The signal from your Stamp is not strong enough to directly drive a motor, in fact doing so might damage your Stamp.

Here are a few articles that will help you understand what needs to be done in order to drive your Motor....

www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol1/col/nv6.pdf

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37701

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • cyberbiotacyberbiota Posts: 79
    edited 2005-09-09 00:37
    TBk-

It is a very bad idea to connect a motor directly to a Stamp port pin. The Stamp cannot provide enough current to make the motor work, and the current draw from the motor, along with the back emf from the collapsing fields in the motor coils, will fry your Stamp. You need to either use a simple transistor circuit (with a diode!), a high-current Darlington driver, or a dedicated H-bridge motor driver circuit.

peter

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Peter C. Charles

Director, Research and Technology
    CyberBiota, Incorporated
    Peter.charles@cyberbiota.com
    http://www.cyberbiota.com
  • TBkTBk Posts: 2
    edited 2005-09-09 01:01
    Thanks, and yes, 'Drute' was supposed to be 'Brute'. =D

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Random Quote of the day: