Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ping))) Sensitivity — Parallax Forums

Ping))) Sensitivity

Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
edited 2005-09-08 22:03 in BASIC Stamp
Does anyone happen to know how sensitive the Ping))) sonic ranger is?· By sensitive, I mean will it be able to detect a 3cm diameter broom handle at 2.4m like the srf04 can?

The reason I am asking this is because I am about to start a project where I need to know the distance to objects ranging from a broom stick to a wall at distances of between 1m to 3m.

Harrison

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-08 14:11
    Harrison,

·· That information can be found in the documentation for the device at the following web page.· As a side-note, broom handles are pretty easy to detect within the range of such a device because of the·shape, which helps·reflect the signal back.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28015

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2005-09-08 21:51
    I did take a look at the documentation and searched the forum for info but I could not find anything related to sensing a small object. But from what you say, it sounds like the Ping can easily sense a broom handle at those distances.

So it sounds like the Ping is well suited for what I want to do.

Thanks for the help,
    Harrison
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-08 22:03
    It uses the same physical sensor elements as other devices, and improves their performance through a bit of software filtering. I think you'll find the Ping works very well and should serve your application.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax