Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot Robot Add-Ons Discontinued — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot Robot Add-Ons Discontinued

T3h_R@v3nT3h_R@v3n Posts: 12
edited 2005-09-21 12:47 in Robotics
I was wondering why many of the Boe-Bot Add-Ons have been discontinued and if there is some way in which you can still buy them.

Thanks for any help,
David

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-09-06 23:42
    Which products are you interested in?· Some of the products that we discontinued have been replaced with better products that are usually cheaper and have been improved.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • T3h_R@v3nT3h_R@v3n Posts: 12
    edited 2005-09-07 04:04
    Mainly the board that gives your Boe-Bot the ability to "talk". Is there a Parallax product that outdoes it now?

Thanks for the help,
    David
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-09-07 04:20
    David,

The Boe-Bot Speech Board was really expensive at $129 and a physically large design. It required a sound card connection and some special software to load files. Functional, but a challenge to load and playback sounds along with low [noparse][[/noparse]sales] volume caused it to be discontinued. Our cost of one of the parts on the board also went through the roof which didn't help matters either.

Since·we've discontinued·the Boe-Bot Speech Board we·introduced a less expensive, easier-to-use replacement called the Emic Text to Speech module. You will need to connect a speaker, but other than that detail it's a good speech device for robotics. In my opinion it's a superior replacement.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-09-07 04:29
    David -

There are a fair number of speech, sound and noise accessories which Parallax offers here:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/audiovisual/sound.asp

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-09-07 14:28
    With the emic you are not limited to pre-loaded sounds. The sound is generated by the module (from simple ASCII text!) I am in the process of adding an emic module to one of our scribblers in fact.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke

Parallax Tech Support
    rclarke@parallax.com
  • rockybulwinklerockybulwinkle Posts: 36
    edited 2005-09-08 00:33
    If for some reason you want a discontinued module, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find them on ebay.
  • MrMikeMrMike Posts: 4
    edited 2005-09-21 05:48
    My Bot kit came with a flyer with accessories listed, and "The Gripper" was there, but I don't see it on the website.· Is this discontinued?· I'm not familiar at all with metal fab, so I'd rather have a kit.· I'd prefer something that can fit with the Boe-bot.

Are they coming out with a newer version of the gripper?· If anyone knows, any info is appreciated.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-09-21 12:47
    Mike,

The reason the Gripper was discontinued is because we made some serious design improvements which increase functionality and reduced cost. The new Gripper design is finished and the parts are in our warehouse. From this point it's a matter of completing the assembly documentation.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.