Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2px as direct replacement for BS2 on BOE? — Parallax Forums

BS2px as direct replacement for BS2 on BOE?

doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
edited 2005-09-21 04:15 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all! I was considering the brain expanding properties of the Sx based Stamps and got me to thinking I would like to give one a try. I have several BOE boards (from Boe-bots) and was wondering if it would be a direct swap with the BS2. I reallize that they are both 24 pin modules and it would be a physical fit. But do I need anything else besides documentation on programing the BS2px (and a BS2px of course)? Furthermore is there any reasone to go with the BS2sx instead?

TIA
smile.gif
Doc

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-06 02:14
    Doc,

·· The BS2 and BS2px are both pin compatible.· Now, the differences are few, but noteworthy.· For example, timing dependant commands, such as SERIN use different values for the same Baud rate, as an example.· The BS2px also has Scratchpad RAM, and 8 slots of EEPROM.· We actually have a nice comparison chart at the following web page.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/tech/faqs/stamp_specs.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 9/6/2005 2:13:51 PM GMT
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-06 04:15
    If you're going to choose between the BS2sx and BS2px -- go with the px. Faster, more features ... definitely the better choice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2005-09-06 13:17
    Thanks guys. I've put a BS2px on my wish list. I appreciate the prompt responses.

Thanks again,
    Doc
    edited 2005-09-21 03:35
    Jon,
    (or anyone that can help for that matter)

Can you teach me how to calculate baudmode for different transfer rates using a BS2px? I am looking at table 5.103 in version 2.1 of the Stamp Manual and I have printed the 2px addendum. I am having trouble determining the bit period on the BS2px I suppose. (Perhaps it's because I don't understand what "bit period" is).

Thanks in advance.

Doc

Post Edited (doggiedoc) : 9/21/2005 3:36:36 AM GMT
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-09-21 03:57
    Sure, crack open the Help file!!! tongue.gif

Okay, here's the calculation for True mode on the BS2px:

· BaudMode = INT(4,000,000 ÷ baud rate) - 20

You can find this formula in both the SERIN and SEROUT sections.· And ... I have posted my template probably 100 times, so one more won't hurt.· Since SERIN/SEROUT always throws people, I've included common baud rates in my programming template.· What if I don't need them?· No problem, I simply delete or leave them alone since they're not taking any program space.·

FWIW, I think it's incredibly bad form to bury "magic numbers" into the baudmode parameter -- this makes changing and troubleshooting (especially by others) a real hassle.· Conditional compilation directives make this process so much easier.· If I could only get more PBASIC programmers to join the CC party....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2005-09-21 04:15
    Thanks Jon,

I forget about the help file, duh!! I always reach for the printed material it seems. I even searched the forums until I couldn't see strait! LOL

BTW - I am not actually writing the code on this one. I am trying to modify an example from Crustcrawlers to work with my Hexcrawler using the BS2px.

Thanks for the help!

PS - I practiced using the help file in the editor - *bing* - I found it, just like you said. *grin*