Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ham Radio — Parallax Forums

Ham Radio

Jim C.Jim C. Posts: 8
edited 2005-09-08 03:31 in BASIC Stamp

Hello,

Has anyone successfully been able to develop a program to receive and transmit CW (Morse code) ?

I want to do some experimenting in this area.

Thanks,

WB9IXS

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-09-06 00:14
    I searched www.google.com by typing in "Morse code and the BASIC Stamp" and it came up with loads of information.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Jim C.Jim C. Posts: 8
    edited 2005-09-06 02:05
    Dave Andreae (Parallax) said...

I searched www.google.com by typing in "Morse code and the BASIC Stamp" and it came up with loads of information.·

Dave

I did the same thing before I came here. I did not see anything that had to with receiving Morse code. Lots of keyers, tone generators and the like.

• mmmm Posts: 56
    edited 2005-09-06 02:38
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=70013

right here at the above parallax link it is. Look in the table of contents near the bottom for morse code reader. You should be able to combine the reader and sender code into one program.

Mike
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-09-06 04:39
    As I'm sure you're aware, receiveing is much more difficult. It would be a nifty program that that could copy any fist out there. What specifically did you have in mind?
    73 de KD5GKD.
  • Jim C.Jim C. Posts: 8
    edited 2005-09-06 16:25
    Philip Gamblin said...
    As I'm sure you're aware, receiveing is much more difficult. It would be a nifty program that that could copy any fist out there. What specifically did you have in mind?
    73 de KD5GKD.

Yes I agree it would be task to copy any and all signals. The truth of the matter is I am finally going to retire my C-64 computer from the task of CW and RTTY. I want to look at some of the digital modes and to that end I have started loading my laptop with some software. I have not however been able to find a CW program that works as well the old AEA MBATOR software. I still have the CP-1 modem/interface and it works great. So if I could see some examples of CW decoding maybe I could go from there. I really do not want to do it from the PC using the sound card and then outputting to the microphone jack. I saw the program that WD8DQT wrote and his interface. If that will work I will go that route. I am always looking for a useful project that will expand my knowledge base and I really like Basic Stamps.

So there you have it... I just what to learn and keep up my skills and Amature Radio is and excellant place to experimnet.
    73 de WB9IXS
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-09-08 03:31
    A good place to start might be to define a " window of time " into which a dit should fit and a longer "window of time" into which a Dah should fit. Once you can reliably copy dits and dahs, then you start to copy characters.

As Far as transmitting goes you can drive your key input on your transmitter with a single stamp pin via a transistor or transistor relay arrangement. I'd be glad to help you put something together once you nail down a configuration.

Post Edited (Philip Gamblin) : 9/8/2005 3:32:23 AM GMT