Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallel LCD problem — Parallax Forums

Parallel LCD problem

edited 2005-09-06 02:16 in BASIC Stamp
I am having a tough time using a standard 2X16 parallel LCD with a BS2p24 and the BS2p Demo board. The LCD I got is from the BS2P Plus Pack. The code I am using is straight from the Basic Stamp Manual (lcdinit.bsp, pg 243) and the code on the demo programs that came with the demo board (P24-40_LCD_DEMO.bsp, pg. 3). I am using the 7.5V wall wart power supply. The jumper (JU3) is in place. Occaisionally, I will get something on the LCD related to what it is supposed to output but only for split seconds. I tried moving the contrast pot over and over, and will on occaision see something, but again, only for a few split seconds. Will check connectivity of the demo board and LCD module. Maybe it is not initializing right? Anybody ever have this problem before?

Ramiro Montemayor

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-05 23:32
    Ramiro,

·· I'm not sure which code you're using, exactly, so could you please try the code on the following web page and let me know what you get with that?· There is a link to the ZIP file toward the bottom of the page.· BS2p code is included in the ZIP file.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=603-00006

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-09-06 00:09
    Do you have any other circuitry connected to the BS2p Demo board, such·as to pin 0?

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • edited 2005-09-06 00:50
    No, no other circuitry. Just a BS2p, BS2p demo board, and the lcd. Tried the program on the zip file and seem to get the same results. Will get some output for a little bit every once in a few resets, and contrast pot adjustments. Wont seem to hold though. Took out a multimeter and there is continuity between the end on the lcd ribbon cable and the connections to the lcd board.
  • edited 2005-09-06 01:02
    Reloaded the program again from the zip file again, and found when there is a small amount of pressure on the contrast pot on the board (finger on the black wheel of the pot), the lcd will work right.
    edited 2005-09-06 01:06
    Sounds like a damaged contrast pot.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • edited 2005-09-06 01:22
    Would I be able to RMA this board then under the terms of the 90 day limited warranty? I bought this on 8/16/05 as part of a BS2P24 PROF Starter kit, and have barely started working on the Parallel LCD are since yesterday evening.
    edited 2005-09-06 02:16
    Ramiro,

·· Please contact Tech Support tomorrow between 7A-5P Pacific Time and we will get you taken care of.· Please mention this thread as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com