Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Truck Leveler System — Parallax Forums

Truck Leveler System

Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
edited 2006-02-08 03:15 in Robotics
This is my first practical application for the Basic Stamp 2.· I was tried of guessing when my truck was level whenever I put a load in the back. Since I had 4 Ping units I decided to design a truck leveling system so I wouldn't have to guess anymore.· While it might not be as cool as other projects posted I am proud of it and wanted to share it with others.
986 x 722 - 102K
753 x 989 - 127K

Comments

• Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2005-09-02 04:09
    ebf306 said...
    This is my first practical application for the Basic Stamp 2. I was tried of guessing when my truck was level whenever I put a load in the back. Since I had 4 Ping units I decided to design a truck leveling system so I wouldn't have to guess anymore. While it might not be as cool as other projects posted I am proud of it and wanted to share it with others.

Actually it is quitea cool project. I am curious to know how you plan to protect the PING units... Won't they get covered with road grunge and, once clogged, stop working?

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

• Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
    edited 2005-09-02 14:08
    I thought about that when I was installing the system so I moved the·sensors in front of the wheels.· I also sealed each Ping unit with heat shrink to protect the exposed electronics.· So far I haven't had any problems with the unit but it hasn't been installed that long.
  • NoodlesNoodles Posts: 19
    edited 2005-09-16 03:16
    I have a program of simalar disign for automaticly leveling a tripod much like a abrams tanks main gun. It employs a memsic accelerometer to sense the position of 2 axis you could use a button to "zero" it when still and level then load and compare I believe the code is posted but I am willing to give it to you and help you modify it for your use the sensor is sealed and only subject to extreme heat. eMail rjdaggett@gmail.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"We Are Not Human Beings Having·A Spiritual Experience,

··············... We Are··Spiritual Beings Having·A·Human Experience"
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-11-16 15:06
    This is a bit low tech, but if you ever have been fined for by-passing the scales with an overloaded truck you will appreciate it more than just having a level load.

A very old trick with making sure your truck isn't overloaded is to buy a load of sand at some cooperative place with scales and check when you get to the right limt [noparse][[/noparse]e.g., 1/2 ton; 1 ton; etc.] Then take a tape measurer and measure the four corners to the ground while parked on a level surface.

After averaging the distance, you can weld four lengths of chain [noparse][[/noparse] one at each corner]. When driving the chain is secured up and away. Whenever you are worried about get busted for an overload, just drop the chains and check.

The same chains will provide you with a pretty good level load. Don't forget to include your own body weight in the gross weight as some cops won't let you get out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Oliver H. BaileyOliver H. Bailey Posts: 107
    edited 2005-11-16 21:38
    You may want to filter the power a little better and add a diode or two for circuit protection. Automotive electrical power is industrial strength even though it is low voltage.

Oliver
  • m_fabio2m_fabio2 Posts: 49
    edited 2005-11-17 13:58
    I found a distance sensor listed for industrial enviroments. It has a 0-5 output and DIP switches to set the range. It boast accuracy of 1% of the distance. Only draw back is the price, around $75. Unfortunately the website is sitting on my favorites on my home computer. I will post the site when I get home.
  • japerjaper Posts: 105
    edited 2005-11-24 03:57
    wow ebf306

what type of schematic drawing progam is that ?
    Thats cool.

japer
  • Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
    edited 2006-01-03 18:52
    Japer

I use Visio Pro. I created a special electronics library, added the standard symbols that come with the program, and make my own for the missing electronics.
  • japerjaper Posts: 105
    edited 2006-02-08 03:15
    hello ebf306

thanks for responding. i found i had a drawing program on my computer.
    and found loads of symbols on the web.
    that made a very cool schematic drawing tool.

japer