Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hypertrminal shows strange chars — Parallax Forums

Hypertrminal shows strange chars

Helen CHelen C Posts: 34
edited 2005-08-31 17:43 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I am trying to take data in from a BS2pe into Hyperterminal.·· I have read lots about this is previous posts especially that two caps are required between the pc DTR line and the Stamp ATN pin.· I have put these in place and Hyperterm no longer puts the 2pe in to the reset state.

The incoming data from the 2pe is fine but the outgoing typed data·is echoed and displayed by Hyperterm·as different characters.· The 2pe "sees" what is typed not what Hyperterm shows!

It is not a major problem but does seem a bit strange.

Does anyone know why Hyperterm does this and how to cure it?

Cheers

Helen

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-08-31 17:17
    Helen -

You can avoid the problem by using a pin port other than 16 (used by DEBUG also), as that's the pin port where the automatic echo can and will take place. There is no way to turn it off, as it's a hardwired part of the circuitry of pin port 16.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Helen CHelen C Posts: 34
    edited 2005-08-31 17:23
    Thanks Bruce,

As I said it is not really a problem but I just wondered why Hyperterm does this and the Stamp Debug terminal doesn't.

Cheers,

Helen
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-08-31 17:34
    The Stamp Debug terminal knows how to deal with this. If you write a custom application (in VB, Java, C, whatever your favorite language is) you can filter the echo from the incoming stream -- this is what the Debug terminal does.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Helen CHelen C Posts: 34
    edited 2005-08-31 17:43
    Thanks Jon