Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to get a VB front end to Stamp Programming — Parallax Forums

How to get a VB front end to Stamp Programming

John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
edited 2005-09-01 07:16 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Guys

We’re developing a system where the user will need to change some of the parameters of an existing program from time to time. I’m using a 2p and thought I’d use the multiple slots for the program so SLOT 0 will contain the information that the user can change and the code is stored in SLOT 1, SLOT 2 SLOT 3… “RUN 1” at the bottom of SLOT 0 will take the Stamp into the main program. I don’t want the client to have access to the bulk of our code.
·
The idea is that the user just downloads a new program SLOT 0 when he wants to change the parameters. Perhaps we will get someone to write a simple VB program to format this information for downloading. We want this to be as seamless as possible. The perfect situation would be for the operator to plug his laptop into the unit, open a simple application, update the information and press the “Download” button.
·
I have tried changing and downloading just SLOT 0 of a program with multiple program slots already loaded on a 2p and this works. The whole program suite works so this indicates that·our proposal is (as you people say) do-able.
·
Some of you guys must have done this before. I don't know where to start so please point me in the right direction.

Kind Regards form Kwa Dukuza

John Bond

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-08-31 14:04
    I created a Stamp-based product for a previous employer that could detect a serial port connection and when this happened, would allow the user to upload and modify data stored in the EEPROM.· This is a fairly simple process; pull the serial input pin low and watch for it to go high when connected. When you detect the connection, jump to the part of the program that handles the data exchange/modification.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to provide new slot 0 code/data to the end-user, have a look at the "Generate Object Code" options in the File menu.· One option lets you create a stand-alone app that will update the user's system.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
    edited 2005-09-01 07:16
    Hey Jon, thats a much better option. I've got pins spare so we can provide a programming switch on the unit.