Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Logic Analyzer Software Install Problems — Parallax Forums

Logic Analyzer Software Install Problems

toadbadgertoadbadger Posts: 6
edited 2005-09-10 18:45 in BASIC Stamp
I have a BASIC Stamp Logic Analyzer (#30010). I successfully downloaded and installed the software into my 1998 vintage Toshiba Laptop running Win 98 SE only to find the hardware required USB 2. So, I downloaded the software into my Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop running Win XP Pro with Service Pack 2 and all subsequent patches. The installer hangs about 90% of the way through the install. Disabling my Virus autoprotect and exiting all applications does not seem to help.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• toadbadgertoadbadger Posts: 6
    edited 2005-08-30 21:30
    I may have solved my own Logic Analyzer Install problem. I found somewhere in the depths of this forum a message whereby someone had to turn off Dell QUICKSET to get the BS2PC help file to run. I turned this off and also disabled my Norton Security software (most likely cause of the problem) and the software seemed to install OK. But now, my machine can't seem to install the USB device. Oh well.
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-09-03 04:27
    I am really surprised there hasn't been a reply form Parallax. Is your logic analyzer working yet?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-09-03 04:37
    Toadbadger and Philip:

I'm not sure what's wrong in this case so I'm seeking the help of USBee, the company who made the BASIC Stamp Logic Analyzer for Parallax. Tim Harvey should be replying to this thread pretty soon.

Thanks for your patience -

Ken Gracey
    edited 2005-09-03 15:00
    Thanks Ken
    edited 2005-09-03 16:20
    I got the logic analyzer working. By turning off quickset. The install didn't go real smoothly. I also turned off most other unessential software including my Norton anti-virus and firewall. Note that I disconnected my LAN at the same time, just to be safe. The install took two or three attempts. Finally got it running. I could see data running on the BS2! So I fired up the BS2 editor to put in my FPU test software. Now THAT wouldn't run! It would not even get past the launching stage! I attempted to uninstall and reinstall the editor, but Windows uninstaller, well, stalled! I admit I probably messed things up by trying to manually delete editor files. Once the uninstaller could not find a component, it just hung. Eventually, I was able to use WINZIP to access the editor install package and dragged and dropped the components back in the original editor directories. Finally, everything is running. Perhaps the logic analyzer install cratered some component of the editor. Anyway, all is well now. By the way, this is a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop running XP pro. Hope this helps.
    edited 2005-09-06 04:55
    Excellent. I'm really glad to hear it's running for you. I'm hoping to get one myself. It would be great for serial troubleshooting, I think. loks like a great tool. Too bad my job keeps getting in the way.
    edited 2005-09-10 14:33
    One last post on this subject. I have both the logic analyzer working as well as the BS2 editor. I do have all sorts of software and drivers on my laptop which may contribute to the install issues. I have numerous serial devices that I talk to and all sorts of mapping software. I scanned for viruses and spyware yesterday, and while clean, the machine has well over 450,000 files on it. The 100 gig drive is 80% full. So there is no telling. It must be that the logic analyzer install ran into some conflict with the BS2 editor software forcing a re-install. It always pays, I think, to do as most installer instructions say: turn off ALL other software, including anti-virus software. Just be careful not to leave your machine connected·to the internet without some kind of firewall·when you do that as I have heard the bad guys are quick to find unprotected machines out there.

The Logic analyzer works very well. You can trigger on any of the data pins rising edge or dropping edge of a square wave. It really helped me understand what my software and Stamp BS2PX was doing.

I too have little time away from family and work to work on this stuff, but am making slow progress.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-09-10 18:45
    toadbadger,

·· I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end.· In case you haven't had a chance to play around with the protocol decoders, feel free to check out the AppNotes we posted on them in this other thread.· Take care!

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=549355

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com