Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Write Protection on the 24LC16B (Basic Stamp 2 OEM) — Parallax Forums

Write Protection on the 24LC16B (Basic Stamp 2 OEM)

knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
edited 2005-08-29 21:55 in BASIC Stamp
Is there any problem connecting this to 5V+? I have no intentions of rewriting the EEProm while it's in use. And I have no intentions of using the READ and WRITE commands, so I don't need to use the EEProm to write, as far as I can tell. Doing this willgive better results for in the field usage.

Just wanted to make sure that the BS2 Interpreter doesn't store anything in the EEProm that it needs to write to. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Knight.

Post Edited (knightofoldcode) : 8/29/2005 3:28:47 AM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-08-29 14:24
    Knight,

·· It should work, although I've never heard of anyone having trouble with accidental writes related to software issues.· If something like a power spike wipes out the program, that will happen regardless of the condition of the WP line, I believe.·

·· Have you considered that, if in the future you had a need for your code to store something in EEPROM, you wouldn't be able to?· Just something to consider.· You never know when a firmware upgrade might require access to the EEPROM, and if it's hard-wired...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-08-29 21:55
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    Knight,

It should work, although I've never heard of anyone having trouble with accidental writes related to software issues. If something like a power spike wipes out the program, that will happen regardless of the condition of the WP line, I believe.

Have you considered that, if in the future you had a need for your code to store something in EEPROM, you wouldn't be able to? Just something to consider. You never know when a firmware upgrade might require access to the EEPROM, and if it's hard-wired...

I'm concerned about something wiping it, not a software write, and not a Basic Stamp Interpreter write. I've heard rumours in the past of people having something weird happen and accidentally writing over their old program? I don't know the exact specs, but I figured that this would prevent that, and it's really easy to do, and doesn't limit the functionality any more than I'm willing to accept.

As to the possibility of rewriting the EEProm with upgraded firmware, this won't be an issue. The implementation is for Alarm Control Keypads, yes I might upgrade firmware, but I'll have to open up the keypad anyways, and I might as well simply replace the EEProm and program on another board, (I already made it). So that's how I'll upgrade firmware. [noparse]:)[/noparse] The EEProm will be socketed.

Knight.