Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
looking for someone to work on a project with me. — Parallax Forums

looking for someone to work on a project with me.

Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
edited 2005-08-29 22:36 in BASIC Stamp
I work for a real estate company in the phoenix area.· (i dont sell houses, i am in administration).· Our company works very hard to keep our agents informed and educated.· Every quarter we have a large training convention were everyone that is present must check in and out of the class in order to be able to get there required credits.· Also, throughout the year, we have classes around the valley that any of our agents can come to.· Again, we have to check them in and out.· I was thinking of using either magnetic strip cards or RFID cards assigned to each agent at the time of joinning.· this card could be used to track there attendance in classes.· We use a SQL database with everyones information.· This is where classes attended would go.· My thoughts are to make 4 readers (the convention hall that we use has 4 entrances and exits.· The system would need to allow all the Stamps to talk to the main computer.· Someone could come in one door and go out the other.· Distance across the hall is about 400'.· Is this even a fesable project?· i would love some input.· thanks guys.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-08-28 19:43
    While I don't have the time to provide hands on help developing this project with you, I can provide some advice. Why not create 4 RFID, BASIC stamp boxes, each connected to a computer. Each computer would have a wireless network card installed, and the computers would serve as the record keepers, communicating with the SQL server. This way you can narrowly define the scope of your project to a simplistic hardware setup, in exchange for a little addtional software. The wireless and SQL facets have already been solved in the PC domain, so piggyback your invention onto that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2005-08-28 20:12
    our convention hall is remote and we only take one pc. (laptop) Each "box" would need to talk to the 1 pc. (maybe rf?). The sql sever is in a distant location. i would like to hav the pc aqire all the info and then dump it to the SQL server maybe the next day.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-08-28 20:42
    Gents -

At the possible risk of stating the obvious, the mere possession of·an RFID tag (or a mag stripe card for that matter) doesn't necessarily guarantee the presence or attendance of any given person at a <!--StartFragment -->training convention or class. If the RFID tag were read and used as a key, which key was used to access a simple name and id number data base that's local, and by that means·an Attendance Card + Name Badge was printed out, and·if that Attendance Card was signed in ink by the attendee, that ought to meet any CE or other organizational requirements·for proof of attendance. So too, a Name Badge as is often issued at such functions, would be provided quickly and without the need of a number of typists.

Using continuous printer forms, it would be simple enough to have the Attendance Card on the left, and a peel-off Name Badge on the right. The Attendance Cards and Name Badge backing are later burst apart, the Attendance Cards are·subsequently archived, and the selvage from the Name Badge is just tossed away.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-08-29 02:43
    How many people or agents are we talking about? Obviously more than 50, because otherwise it'd be obvious if someone wasn't there.

Also, does this have to stand up to a Jury as to wether they were present? IE, does the state require this convention, or is it just for company policy?

Knight.
    edited 2005-08-29 03:50
    1500 to 2000 agents. hard to keep track of them all. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-08-29 03:56
    And is this for company policy, or a State regulated function?

Knight.
    edited 2005-08-29 04:38
    it is for state accedited hours. we have t be able to prove that they were there. There is a bigger picture to this all though. We have 18 offices throuout the valley. we have computers in each office that the agents check in and out of the office with. eventually i would like to have them use the same card to log in and out of the computer. By logging in and out, we know who is where.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2005-08-29 04:50
    attitudeap -

Not quite so. You only know the card or RFID card was there, not who had it. That was exactly my point earlier when I mentioned the necessity of a signature.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-08-29 05:22
    yes i agree Bruce. i liked you ideas earlier. We could definately impliment it to print name tags as they come through the door. one technique that we use to try to insure attendance is to give out "secret words" that they must write down throughout the classes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2005-08-29 05:38
    attitudeap -

Sorry - as much as you might like "secret words" to work, that is no better or worse than any other scheme and will fail in the end. You NEED a biometric, and a signature is the easiest and least expensive biometric to obtain.

If you want to go to the expense and trouble of photo ID's that will work as well. The problem there is, what happens if someone forgets to bring their photo ID? Do you PREVENT them from perhaps taking a mandatory class?

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
    edited 2005-08-29 22:36
    Um. Well. Why not just use a system like they do at public or any major store when you swipe your credit card and then sign your name. If they signed their name and presented the right card then they were there. If not then they wern't